Here are some links to various resources mentioned in the book, and some other stuff as well. If you’d like to be listed, or if you can’t find something that’s referenced in the book, contact me.
- Backblaze, a great service to backup your computer’s hard drive. It’s not really a service to back up a big media collection, but it’s a nice automatic solution to keep a hard drive backed up. Read about how it saved my daughter’s data.
- Dropbox, the file sharing service that lets you access your files from any computer, and easily share files with others. Use this link to get an extra 500MB at signup.
- Set Copyright to True – A script from John Beardsworth that sets the copyright flag to Copyrighted
- Dr. Brown’s Services Great scripts from Russell Brown
- Jeffrey Friedl’s Lightroom Scripts – lots of great extensibility here.
- Peter Krogh’s Portfolio
- dpBestflow, a project I helped author and direct, funded by ASMP and the Library of Congress. It outlines best practices and workflow for digital photography.
- Shutha.org, a project I worked on that was funded by World Press Photo and directed by Africa Media Online. Free technical and business training for media professionals in the developing world.
- ImageIngester and ImageVerifier - Marc Rochkind’s software for download and file validation, as well as many books he’s written.
- PhotoMechanic – Great browser for fast image examination, download, and robust metadata handling
- DNG Profile Editor – A way to make custom profiles for your camera for use with Lightroom and ACR. Mac and Windows.
- Drobo – Multi-drive storage with appliance-like ease-of-use
- MacGurus – Hands-on help configuring your image storage – Mac or PC
- CRU (formerly Wiebetech) – Manufacturer of storage devices – good products that are supported by the company
- Non-Destructive Image Editing – A White Paper I wrote for Adobe on parametric Image Editing
- Rendering the Print – Karl Lang on image rendering
- Why Use DNG? ( A PDF discussion of the benefits of the DNG format, reprinted from Studio Photography and Design Magazine)
- Controlled Vocabulary (a place to learn about keywording discipline)
- Camera Scans Handout from PhotoPlus 2008
- Download Checklist, PDF ( A PDF version of the Download Checklist from Chapter 6)
- Download Checklist, InDesign ( An InDesign version of the Download Checklist from Chapter 6)
- Download Checklist, Excel
Blogs, Podcasts and Websites
- Former Photoshop product manager and current Google product manager John Nack on, well, just about anything. (Archived version of the wonderful old website - John Nack on Adobe -)
- ASMP Strictly Business – How to run your photo business
- DAMsimple – Robert Edwards from Sydney offers workshops and a monthly newsletter on collection management and workflow
- Deke.com- Deke McClelland infotains you to Photoshop enlightenment.
- NAPP - The National Association of Photoshop Professionals – Scott, Matt, Dave and the rest infotain the hell out of you
- Rob Galbraith The best place to learn about media cards and readers
- Luminous Landscape – Michael Reichmann and company about all things in digital photography
- Mac Edition Radio – Harris Fogel on digital imaging