Dateline – Athens, Georgia – We’ve released the next set of chapters for The DAM Book 3.0, adding 325 more pages to the initial Chapter 1 release, for a total of 363 pages. These chapters cover some of the most fundamental and important parts of image management.
Chapters released today include:
- Image Objects and File Formats – a discussion of the evolution of digital images and the formats used to embody them.
- How Metadata Works – A deep dive into the nuts and bolts of modern metadata.
- Using Metadata – a guide to the effective use of metadata to achieve goals that are important to you.
- Logical Structure – discussion of the different types of file systems that we now use (computer, mobile, cloud, NAS) and a file and folder strategy for each of these.
- Digital Storage Hardware – a comprehensive look at the current storage options for your digital media.
- Backup, Restoration and Verification – preservation of your archive requires you to think of these processes as part of a unified system.
Anyone who has purchased the pre-release copy should have gotten an email with instructions for downloading the new version. And if you have not ordered yet, you can still get in on the 10% pre-release discount. The discount runs until the release of the final version, scheduled for the end of April.
Huge thanks to the DAM Useful production team for their Herculean effort in getting this release out on time. Elinore Wrigley of Me Jayne Design Cape Town, South Africa, Dominique le Roux of Moonshine Media, Vientiane, Laos and Bobbi Kittner of Kittner Design, Takoma Park, Maryland did another outstanding job.
Special thanks to Josie Krogh and Steve Thomas for letting us set up an Athens, GA field office for the final push.