The DAM Forum
July 28, 2021, 07:44:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Full size previews - is there a better way?  (Read 14955 times)
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2006, 11:41:53 AM »

I want all my DNG files to have full size previews that I can see in Portfolio or iView, especially the latter's lightbox. It's set me wondering about the best way to get full size previews for DNG's created before Adobe Camera Raw had the option to create them.

The method I've adopted is to use a Bridge find on each "bucket", listing all the items in its subfolders, then opening all of them in ACR, selecting all, and then applying Export Settings. While the find is slowish, I'm finding no problem opening a couple of thousand images at a time, and its main attraction is that it's more "inline" and right in principle, preserving all cataloguing links. An alternative, reprocessing the files with the DNG converter, would force me into duplicating the bucket folder structure, then renaming the large preview and deleting the original structure. While I'm all backed up, I'm always frightened by deleting anything!

So having put these alternatives, I just ask if there's a better way? If not, then hopefully this posting will help oithers. For me, it's almost too late - I'm babysitting a computer (background) processing all my DNG's. April 2004 right now....

John
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 06:19:18 PM by peterkrogh » Logged
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »

John,
If you use the DNG converter, it will replicate nested directory structures (all the subfolders) if you check the appropriate box.  This would be a good way to do what you want, EXCEPT...

The DNG converter will NOT transfer any files that are not RAW files that happen to be in the folder. So JPEGs, .MOV files, text files, will not be transferred.  If all you have in your directory structure is RAW files, then there is no problem.

One other thing.  In the current version of the DNG converter, there is a small possibility that corrupted files will be skipped in the conversion process with no error reported.  The new version (coming soon) will catch these errors.
Peter
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 09:56:47 AM »

Thanks Peter,

Actually my interest was mainly in finding a better method than Export Settings - some of my uncertainty is just I find "Export Settings" an unintuitive choice. It's pbviously slow getting Bridge and ACR to display hundreds or thousands of pictures (times when I really question what Adobe did with Bridge), but its advantage is letting me fix some raw adjustments.

While the DNG converter looks faster than this methodm I had ruled out the DNG converter because of the "manual" work and the risks involved in duplicating the folder structure and deleting the previous stucture.

One thing I hadn't thought about was your point about jpeg, but I like to think that my financial IT experience would have kicked in: in any data migration exercise, counting the old files and the new files is always one important control.

Other alternatives I toyed with included scripting, both from iView and within Bridge. This approach seemed to be an interesting exercise, but not worthwhile for a one-off job.

John
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 01:29:15 PM »

On reflection, if one uses the DNG converter and copies the new folders over the old ones - ie don't delete them - then the original jpeg files are still in position.

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 06:48:07 AM »

Did you try it? Makes me a bit nervous, but maybe that's what Thomas had in mind when he built it that way.
BTW, did you see that you were quoted in the Lightroom write-up?(top right)
Peter
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 07:26:02 AM »

Hi Peter

After my last post I got so fed up of the Bridge-ACR method that I bit the bullet and ran the rest of the DNGs through the converter. I started by moving the originals folders (via Explorer) and set the DNG converter to output to the original location. After running the converter, I checked my numbers before and after, and ran iView's Find Missing Folders and a Rebuild. Only after these extra auditing steps did I delete the small preview DNGs. This method was much less frustrating, seemed marginally quicker, and worked. This is the method I'd recommend.

While I appreciate the reasons for not overwriting the originals, maybe the DNG converter lacks an option to update files? It could be deeply hidden - even a command line switch.

Yes I did spot that - obviously my analogy must have brought a laugh. I agree totally with your comments about the main issue being "how do I deal with all these ^%#*& files?" and can't wait to get my hands on the beta. But for us PC users it's as if Lightroom's a pretty face you've spotted at the other end of the bar and you've got to wait till the Mac users have finished whispering in her ear before you get your chance.... The Joy of DAM? Cheesy

John
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 03:02:51 PM »

I think that both ACR and the DNG converter can replace metadata without re-writing the entire file, but when the need to replace the preview, it seems like they can't simlply remake the preview.  That's why, incidentally, re-conversion with ACR locks up Bridge until re-conversion is complete.

As to that pretty girl on the other side of the bar, I bet you'll get to meet her before you meet Aperture.
Peter
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 03:09:10 PM »

I'll have to change my gender preference, or at least my OS, if I want to chat up Aperture!
AlanDunne

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 07:23:24 PM »

Gentlemen,

this love triangle allegory is killing me!

On a slightly more serious note, like John, I too have to go back and re-save some old DNG's done prior to saving with full size jpeg previews, so I am following this discussion with interest.

John, I am getting somewhat confused following what you procedure was. I one post you said that you were going to copy the new folders over the old ones. In another, you talk about moving the original folders and setting the DNG converter to output to the original location. I don't follow the logic of all this. Can you try one more explanation for me?

Cheers ... Alan
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 08:12:19 PM »

No wonder you're confused, Alan, as I was changing my approach and thinking aloud a bit much. In summary, I concluded that the DNG converter was the best approach after all, and really the only advantage of the Bridge route was that I could update some raw adjustments - a time-consuming distraction. All along, though, I was very careful about double checking before-and-after file numbers, especially before deleting anything. I also was certain about my backups. After those safeguards, the rest of the chopping and changing is a lot less important.

But as you ask for the detail. The "copying one folder over another" was only relevant for early raw file buckets that also contained the few JPEGs I've shot. When you copy a folder with new DNGs onto another with old DNGs and JPEGs, Windows leaves the JPEGs and just overwrites the DNGs.

After those early buckets, I then found it easier to move the buckets (to elsewhere on the same physical drive to avoid any large copy operations) outside iView and then make the DNG converter output the new DNGs in the original locations. I could thus see how many files iView expected to find afterwards, run a Find Missing Items to check they had all been created, and then delete the originals. Does that clarify things?

John
AlanDunne

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 12:53:22 AM »

John,

thanks for taking the time to respond. That does clarify things perfectly so I will start giving this a go in the next day or so. By the way I did eventually find that new custom IView metadata template for IVMP3 from your response over at the IView forum.

On a side note, I was always the shy type, never being able to muster up enough courage to "chat up" the pretty girls at the end of the bar.

Cheers ... Alan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: