The DAM Forum
August 02, 2021, 03:17:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the supported formats for Expressions Media?  (Read 4559 times)
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:28:31 AM »

We're tracking what's going on with EM now ... my wife's studio sort of started using it (not sure if it is actually the last version of iView or first of EM) some time ago but never fully implemented it. We're looking at upgrading her through the PhaseOne offers and actually getting her "hmmmm" together (finally). She is curious, as to what files the newest does support, especially as to "other" file types, such a for Publisher files (Microsoft's Publisher program) and other such digital assets. She'd love it if EM could keep track of all her price lists and brochures and their derivatives too. And for me, does the latest EM support D3's? I'm having trouble finding a list of complete supported files anywhere!

I'd just started moving my own files into shape to load 'em into the newest iDimager ... and am wondering if given the new life (and offers) it would be perhaps an idea to get me own license of EM and go that route so both my professional, our personal, and her professional are on the same software brand.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:22:21 AM »

Neil,
Expression uses Quicktime or other system capabilities to decode many of the supported file types.  So D3 files are supported if they are supported by your OS.

As to the Publisher files, I'm not sure.  I don't have any to test.  The best thing is to look and see if they work.  Also, "support" is a relative term.  While you can read the text in a Word file, it looses all formatting.
Peter
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 05:36:46 AM »

Thanks, Peter, for the response. As long as she could view the various cards, brochures, price lists in a thumbnail she'd be thrilled, as then she could actually keep track of all her business docs. Four or five women (the missus included) have designed and deployed various cards, emails, brochures, ads, and on and on over the last few years, and to say there's chaos in the "filing" of said files would be grossly understated.

I'm trying to figure out whether to keep building my brand's catalog in iDimager (just started) or wait for the new EM from Phase One or take the offer of the current EM just to be on the same software ... though our systems are separate. I might know her's better and be more able to help ... hmmm.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »

Neil,
First off, I'd take the offer from Phase, even if you don't want to deploy EM at the moment.
Beyond that, it's hard for me to tell if you should keep with IDI or go to Expression Media.  I guess it depends on which suits you, your files, and your way of working best.

I would not expect new software from Phase One any time very soon.
Peter
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:56:54 PM »

Thanks Peter,

I took your advice as I had a "free major upgrade" on my C1 license anyway, so I upgraded to C1-5 and then took the option to download a "new" copy of EM2 onto the studio computer that we catalog things through. We'll be testing it out in the next couple weeks. I must say for all that I've read about how many find the new C1-5 easy to use ... I'm hunting for things still. I think it's maybe a commercial shooter vs portrait shooter thing, as I even think our minds tend to be organized differently to begin with!

So ... we've got two licensed copies of idImager and a new one of EM2 ... what joy the next few weeks shall be, testing this sort of thing is SO my job, but NOT my love!

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: