The DAM Forum
July 28, 2021, 06:43:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PhotoMechanic  (Read 8975 times)
mguoli

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2010, 12:49:23 PM »

Hi Peter,

I would like to understand why PhotoMechanic is not part of your workflow. In this comunity is like a ghost, but is an icredibly powerfull software. I remember some old posts where you was saying that it write/embed metadata in a way not safe for the integrity of the file: it is still true? Could you explain a little more about it?

Marco

MacBook 1.5.8/PhCS4/Bridge/iView3.1.3/IIPro

johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 04:17:46 PM »

Marco

For myself, I'd answer that I've a lot of respect for PM. I know of nobody who uses it who speaks badly of it. However, I do not use it because I've always felt it was too expensive for a file browser. A browser only shows what's there right now, not what should be there. The focus here is more on catalogues because they can help you recover if/when things go wrong

John
mguoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 04:35:29 PM »

Thank you John, of course I understand your point of view and I agree.
I do not think to use it as a browser, but to manage Metadata, and maybe download form cards.

Marco

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 10:31:55 PM »

Marco,
I'd probably be using it for ingestion if not for ImageIngester Pro, which is cheaper, and since it was designed in large part directly for my workflow - works extremely well for me.

We'll be adding PhotoMechanic sections to the dpBestflow website - I know that my partner there, Richard Anderson, really likes it.

It is very good at what it does - it just happens that I don't often need those particular functions.
Peter
mguoli

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »

Peter,

thanks for reply. Is the program safe about writing and embed metadata? That was the really point of my post.

Marco

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 04:45:35 AM »

Marco,
Do you mean is it safe to use PhotoMechanic to apply non-natively-supported XMP to proprietary raw files?
I think the answer is, that depends.

Depends on the file structure, what software you might want to se to open the file, exactly what PM is doing to the file...

I would strongly consider archiving a version without the data in it.  It's my understanding that this has caused problems in the past.
Peter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: