The DAM Forum
August 02, 2021, 02:56:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Desaturation issues with CS4 on monitor  (Read 14662 times)
Aaron Ingrao

View Profile Email
« on: December 23, 2009, 09:03:49 PM »

There is about a 15-20% desaturation of my images, when open on the monitor only.  They seem fine on the laptop.  However, when I open Lightroom, the images look normal on the monitor, so that narrows the problem down to CS4. 
To start with, I have a MACBOOK Pro with an NVIDIA 8600 graphics card.  I have an AIZO CG222 hooked up to the laptop.  I have calibrated the monitor and the correct color setting is applied to the monitor in the display preferences.  My color settings in CS4 are all set as should be "working spaces: RGB:Adobe1998 color mngmt all clicked on, desaturated colors is not clicked on, etc, etc.  This is an area that has been covered, so I don't want to wast time with that part.  I actually spoke with Peter Krogh and his advice was to 1) click OFF "enable OpenGL Drawing" in the CS4 preferences. I did so, and rebooted.  No help.  2) I then repaired my permissions and rebooted.  Nothing.  I will be communicating more with Peter, I think.  I just wanted to get the issue out there to get as much help as possible, as soon as possible, as I cannot work on any images until this issue is resolved.
Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to offer.
Aaron Ingrao
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 06:45:47 AM »

Aaron,

What do you have selected for your "Color Management Policies" in you Color Settings dialog?

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Richard Anderson

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 03:26:41 PM »

Hi Aaron-

Issues like this can be tricky to track down. First of all, make sure that CS4 is using the correct monitor profile. Go into CS4 Color Settings, and in the RGB drop down look to see what  monitor profile is listed. It should match the one that is selected in the System Preferences under Displays>Color for your EIZO & not the laptop profile. It sounds like Photoshop is using the laptop profile and not the Eizo profile. Since the Eizo is much wider gamut- that is the equivalent of looking at Adobe RGB assigned sRGB, which makes images look flat and desaturated. You may need to redo your monitor profiles. Keep in mind that you will need separate profiles for the laptop and the EIZO. The EIZO software only works on the EIZO monitor. You'll need to use different software for the laptop- or use something like ColorEyes Display for both. Once you've redone the profiles- double check that CS4 is using the EIZO profile when the image is displayed on the EIZO.

Richard Anderson
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 08:00:33 PM »

Aaron
,Does the problem change if you swap which monitor is the main one (laptop vs. External?)
Peter
Aaron Ingrao

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 05:00:05 PM »

Hi, guys.  I did make the change in the RGB field to the AIZO calibration setting and I also tried making the monitor the main desktop, both to no avail.
Thanyou.
Aaron Ingrao

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 07:37:59 AM »

Aaron,

What do you have selected for your "Color Management Policies" in you Color Settings dialog?

Dan
Hi, Dan.  RGB: "convert to working RGB"
           CMYK: "Preserve embedded profiles"
            Grey:  "        "
All three boxes are checked
Thanks.
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:50:17 PM »

Aaron,

Those settings are fine.  First, if you set your RGB working space to your monitor profile you should set it back to your working profile.  AdobeRGB is a good safe one to work in.  Second, I don't know how the Mac O/S works, but under Windows there is a color management tab in the advanced settings of the display properties dialog where you tell Windows what color profile to use for your monitor.  I only have one monitor on my PC, but it only allows one profile for my monitor at a time.  If I had two monitors plugged in it may give me two dialogs, one for each monitor, allowing me separate profiles for each.  I don't know.  However, you should check your Mac O/S color management settings to see what profile your monitor and/or laptop are using.  Also, I'm getting conflicting information from you.  On the one hand you're saying Lightroom looks fine on your monitor which tells me your O/S must be using the right profile for your monitor.  On the other hand, your telling me it looks desaturated in CS4 on your monitor, but correct on your laptop, which tells me the settings in CS4 must be good because CS4 should no nothing about your monitor profile in its settings; only your O/S should know about your monitor profile.

One more thing to check.  On your Color Settings dialog in CS4 there should be a "More Options" button on the right hand side.  Click that and make sure your color engine is set to Adobe (ACE), your Intent to Relative Colorimetric, and all 3 boxes are checked below that.  Also make sure the Desaturate box below those boxes is not checked as well as the Blend RGB colors box.

Dan
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 02:06:44 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:16:30 PM »

Aaron,
Did you try making a new user and seeing if the problem persists when signed in as that user?
Peter
Aaron Ingrao

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »

Hi, guys.  First off, I want to thank you all for the help.  Seems I have it all worked out.  I previously had the main desktop, menu, etc etc on my laptop and made my Eizo extra realty.  Now, instead, I made the Eizo my main desktop, and the laptop is now just extra realty.  This seems to have worked out the problem.  Under the PS color settings, when I toggle the RGB working space, , between "Adobe 1998" and the Eizo profile, there seems to be no difference, but that is of little consequence, as they both seem to look as they should.  I am leaving it in the profile color space and converting to that working space when asked.
Perhaps, as Jim C. postulated, the laptop may not be able to drive a profile for two monitors at the same time.
Anyway, your suggestions worked, and I am now a happy little camper. Now, camp in front of this thing, I shall.
Thank you very much and Happy New Year! 

Aaron Ingrao
Richard Anderson

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 09:24:29 PM »

"...when I toggle the RGB working space, , between "Adobe 1998" and the Eizo profile, there seems to be no difference..."

Aaron-

That is the correct behavior. You can toggle any color space and the image won't change appearance if Photoshop and your system are working properly. In fact, that's color management in action.

Hope you have a great New Year.

Richard Anderson
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 11:53:10 PM »

Aaron,

Richard is correct there, but remember that is your working color space for editing your images.  It is not an output space; therefore, you should not use an output profile such as your Eizo profile for that selection.  To do so would limit your working space to that of your monitor.  You should use a working RGB space such as Adobe1998 or ProphotoRGB and then soft proof that against whatever outspace you decide to output too, such as an ICC profiled printer.

HTH,
Dan
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 11:55:11 PM by danaltick » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: