The DAM Forum
July 28, 2021, 06:18:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with timestamps, Expression Media, and Adobe Camera Raw  (Read 6094 times)
jayp

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:32:15 AM »

For what it's worth, I came across a problem that nearly drove me insane until I finally figured it out (at least I think). I wanted to briefly share in the small chance that some poor soul stumbles along the information and finds it useful.

First, let me quickly give you my setup.

• RAW files converted to .DNG with ImageIngester at the time of ingestion.
  • Photoshop CS3 with Adobe Camera Raw 4.6 used to perform basic adjustments and cropping.
  • Expression Media 2 (SP2) used to apply keywords, ratings, etc.
  • Metadata is written to the .DNG files and not sidecar files.
  • Windows 7 release candidate 64-bit (in practice, almost exactly like Vista 64-bit -- but betterĀ  Wink )

Now the problem. I traveled overseas recently and realized that I had forgotten to reset the camera's internal clock. So I used Expression Media to change the times. No problem.

Turns out that when I got home and started processing images, I realized that any image edited in Adobe Camera Raw reverted to the old timestamp. This left me with quite a mess to sort out in EM but after some work I got the timestamps sorted out.

I finally figured out that what's happening is that EM is changing the timestamp in the EXIF data, whereas the original timestamp remains in the XMP data.

I used EXIF Tool GUI to figure this out (it's a little clunky but in a pinch works) and found a solution. You can select your images and choose Modify -> XMP: DateTime copy from EXIF. This will sync the two timestamps and now editing in ACR doesn't change the timestamp.

I'm not really sure who to blame. Someone should definitely be blamed though. Frankly, EM ought to change the timestamp in both places and Adobe ought not to touch the EXIF timestamp when performing an edit.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:38:07 AM by jayp » Logged

Jay Packer
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 03:44:54 AM »

Jay,
Good catch - thanks for posting.
Peter
Pages: [1]
  Print