The DAM Forum
July 28, 2021, 07:19:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Syncing modified and created dates with capture date  (Read 6341 times)
Kevin Forsmo

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2009, 03:02:00 PM »

I have a capture date problem that I'm trying to correct which isn't specific to EM2, but that is the software I'm using for the time being.  In fact, it's the metadata available to the OS (WinXP in my case) that I'm interested in changing.
In addition to getting the results I want for the problem below, I'm also interested in learning more about what "time" fields exist, if and how they interact, how they're used, and how to change them.  Basically I'm still new enough that all this stuff is like drinking from a fire hose.  In previous gulps I know that there are multiple subsets (perhaps standards?) like EXIF, IPTC, Dublin Core, etc...  I understand that some of the handling is application-dependent, while the fields themselves are written into the file, so it complicates things insofar as I haven't settled on a workflow or tools yet.  Ideally I'd like to find out which time fields are readable by which apps, and which apps can safely modify them.  Now that the question has gotten general and vague and unanswerable, let's narrow it back down to my current problem, and maybe the above can be discussion points if anyone has the knowledge and the time to waste in the future.

Background: RAW files shot with D40, using EM2 to catalog and WinXP for OS file-handling

Problem: I generally reset the clock in the camera before an event, just because I'm that guy.  ONE time, for some reason (pilot error) the year got changed, so I have 81 files that were shot on 3/27/09 that were dated by the camera as 3/27/08.  As far as I can tell, this set the time in the following fields: Created, Modified, and Capture Date.  I'd be interested if there are others that were set (for completeness as I try to fix this), but these are the ones I'm most likely to use.  Congratulating myself on my recent EM2 purchase, I went through file-by-file and changed the Capture Date for each picture.  There's probably a scripting method, but hopefully this learning experience will make me double-check the date when I set it in-camera, and I will never have this issue again.
This solves the problem of sorting by Capture Date in EM2.  What didn't change were the Created and Modified dates which is understandable; I didn't expect them to.  This only really becomes an issue when for some reason I want to use this information in EM2, or if I'm doing any OS-driven file operations.
So the question is: can someone recommend a tool or method to change these fields, and let me know if there are any pitfalls I want to consider before doing this?  A web search yields tons of tag editors, but there's no real way to know about the quality or safety or security of any of them.  Maybe EM2 can do it and I'm just too new.  I have the trial of CS4 (with bridge) going, and have Elements 7 and the trial of Lightroom 2 still valid, so if those can help, it would be useful to know.  And just to widen out the scope of the question again, I'm kind of assuming that the modified and created dates are external to any of the metadata structures like EXIF, IPTC, Dublin etc (If I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, there's a great reason).  As I go through and fix this problem, I'm interested to know if there are any other date fields that are "wrong" in these files that I should correct, just for completeness.  Only because I kind of want my write-once DVD backup to be "correct."  That is, subscribing to Peter's axioms of "do it once" and "do it right."  I'm probably crashing headlong into an egregious violation of "but don't overdo it," but I guess I won't know until I ask.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin Forsmo
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »

Kevin,
Action>Set capture Date

As an aside, are your cameras not holding their date settings?
Peter
Kevin Forsmo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 08:41:38 PM »

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the fast reply.  Here I was thinking that when I bought the books, I just got the books.  I didn't realize they came with instant online support for stupid questions Smiley.

I had gone ahead and set the capture date as you recommended, and I'm looking to see if there are good/trusted/worthwhile ways to also modify the "Created" and "Modified" fields, and any others (that I don't see) that I would need to change for completeness before I burn to write-once media.

The camera is holding the date fine...until, of course, I insist on fiddling with it.  To make a very long story only slightly long, I was playing with the date for some experiments I was doing for sorting images from multiple cameras, as well as using my consumer Garmin GPS to geotag.  Experiments (and clocks) worked fine, the only nut loose was the one behind the wheel.  Or in this case, camera.

Kevin Forsmo
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 08:57:35 PM by Kevin Forsmo » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: