The DAM Forum
July 28, 2021, 08:21:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crashplan  (Read 5874 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: January 06, 2009, 07:09:13 AM »

Bob,
Crashplan is a whole different animal - it can enable offsite web-enabled backups with regular PC (or Mac or Linux) hardware, and does not require static IP.  It does a hash on each end of the backup, and has some other very cool features that are not anywhere else.

Peter
BoglePhoto

BoglePhoto BoglePhoto
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:34:53 AM »

Peter:

Crashplan certainly has some interesting ideas and solutions. Would you back up your OS and your top keepers to the offsite storage? Is this a windows solution equivalent to SyncronizeProX that Macgurus uses? On the windows side we seem to feel a bit left out as to the best photo software.

I am using a Vista Home Pro HP system with AMD dual core, with four 400 GB drives or larger for photos only and backup in two computers, and about to build my first JBOD. My laptop and a digital wallet is used offsite, but infrequently, and I run two desktop computers, the Vista PC for main pixel pushing, and the older XP to host my hard drives. I finally moved some of the accumulating disorganized files into an organized plan, and psuhed them on to their own drives for photos only, freeing up my main hard drive to working and OS and programs. I want to get something that will get me the right type of backup plan, not overwriting any files or mistakes, and able to restore in the event of a crash. Still looking, and getting more confused each post.

BTW, Image Ingester, your set up videos, and EM2 are working well for me, and should be considered as a blueprint to get organized. It is a long process, but the process is laid out for you if you want.

Thanks.

Bill Bogle, Jr.

www.Boglephoto.com

www.BoglePhoto.com, blog at www.BoglePhoto.blogspot.com
PC AMD 64 x2 dual core 5200+ 2.6Ghz, Vista 32bit SP1,PS CS3, Lightroom 2, IIP, EM2, Dell Studio 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo, Vista 64 bit
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 05:28:47 PM »

Bill,
As I understand it, Crashplan is Mac, Windows and Linux, and can even backup from one system to another. They have released a free 5 license version.
Not sure yet about other details.
Peter
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: