The DAM Forum
July 28, 2021, 06:21:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chronosync 4 and Chronoagent  (Read 6971 times)
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« on: January 06, 2009, 01:25:48 AM »

It looks wonderful... faster... scheduled bootable backups... full control or remote computers (no permissions issues)... direct connection without using AFP or SMB.  It's going to be a couple of weeks before I have time to test it much.  If anyone else is or has tried it I'd love to hear some feedback.

I spent some of the downtime during the holidays rearranging my archive disk layout (replacing failing firewire cases with ATA drives with internal SATA drives and so forth).  Since I was also moving volumes to different computers I spent a good deal of time chasing permissions issues with a few Chronosync backups.  It sounds like the new system will help with that a lot.

Bob Smith
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 01:43:20 AM »

Bob,
If you're looking at backup solutions, take a peek at crashplan.  I just met them here at MacWorld, and it looks like a phenomenal program. 

I'll write more later this week after I get to talk to them again.
Peter
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:53:19 AM »

I'm heavily invested (time and experience) in Retrospect for backups. I've been using it since '93... when a 1.5GB DAT tape was good for about 18 months worth of image data.  It has some warts, but I know them well... few surprises.  It serves well for painless automated incremental backups of my entire office to hard drives  It's saved my rear numerous times over the years.  Retrospect has had serious pains since OS-X on the Mac platform but it works for my situation.  A long overdue major overhaul finally genuinely appears imminent. 

I use Chronosync for image archive drive backups and for syncing basic business data between a laptop and my main desktop.  I use SuperDuper for quick bootable clones of a system.  If Chronosync will do bootable copies now, I would probably use it over SuperDuper just for simplicity.  I'm probably most interested in the Chronoagent aspect of their new setup.

I'll check out Crashplan.

Thanks

Bob Smith
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: