The DAM Forum
August 02, 2021, 02:55:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Images with layers in EM2  (Read 4419 times)
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »

When adding images to the EM2 catalog sometimes - but not always - the thumbnail recorded will show a mask layer rather than the actual image. Some images with layers work fine and others don't and I can't determine what the variable is that causes this.

Rob 
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 08:53:02 PM »

Rob,
Does the Alpha Channel setting in the EM preferences change the behavior?
Peter
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 11:59:57 AM »

Peter,
  I unchecked the Alpha channel setting in preferences and then deleted one of the images and again cataloged it.  If shows up with a different mask visible this time.  What I have found is by looking at the file info page the images with the problem are being listed as 64 bit depth, ones that load correctly are 48 bit.  My system is not 64 bit so I'm not sure why these are being changed, in PS they are 16 bit images - the same as all other images.

Rob
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 01:17:14 PM »

I think the bit depth you are seeing is just telling you that it has an extra channel.  48 bit is three 16bit channels... normal 16 bit RGB = 3x16bit/channel or 48bits per pixel.  Add a mask channel and now its 4x16bit/channel or 64bits per pixel.

And these are all either TIFF or PSD with maximize compatibility turned on?

Bob Smith
R_Haman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 02:33:29 PM »

Bob,
  They are tiff/psd files, your bit depth theory makes sense but the images that are loading correctly also have layer masks imbedded.  Possibly the way the masks are created and therefore saved?  I'll have to look closer at each image.

Rob
rcannonp

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »

Whatever you have on channel 4(RGB) will work as a transparency mask. If you create a new channel, fill it with white, and move it to number 4, you won't see the transparency any more. Layer masks would have no effect on this.

–Cannon

15" MBP :: OS 10.5.6 :: Lightroom 2 :: C1 Pro 3.7 :: CS3 :: EM2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: