The DAM Forum
August 02, 2021, 04:02:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: EM2 and 2 computers - workflow  (Read 4038 times)
Sigi

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2008, 11:04:11 AM »

Hello,

I run EM2 on an Imac and it works fine. I am not a professional photographer but my catalog is growing quickly. I have right now about 8000 pics in it. As I travel a lot I want to install EM2 on my ibook and do some keywording etc.. while in the plane.

The process of copying a whole catalog back and forth via USB sticks is quite timeconsuming as I have seen. What is the smartest way of doing this? I would actually not need my "old" pics in the catalog but just the ones I want to add metadata.

Is there a kind of "synchronize" function somewhere maybe?

Thanks for any advice from the powerusers

Sigi
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 11:25:22 AM »

I'd just carry the entire catalogue with you, without the originals of course. It's the easiest way, so less need for thinking and less scope for error. And how can you predict in advance which ones you want to add metadata to?

John
Sigi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 03:12:58 PM »

Hello John,

that's what I intend to do. I just thought that there is maybe a "hidden" synchronize function that I am not aware of. Copying 1.2 GB back and forth takes quite some time.

Sigi
SteveM

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 02:54:28 AM »

Sigi,

Are you looking to work only on the images from the current trip or images from your back catalog as well? If it is the latter then John's suggestion of loading the entire catalog on the iBook is the way to go.

But if it is the former and you are only adding metadata to the images from your trip on your flight home, or in the hotel room after a days shooting, then you do not need the entire catalog. You can create temporary catalogs for each trip on the iBook, enter your metadata, and then execute the command "Sync Annotations ..." from the "Actions" menu, selecting the export to originals option. Then once you are home you can add the images to your permanent catalog on your iMac.

This is essentially what I do although I use Photo Mechanic for my initial key wording, not Expressions Media (I do use Expressions Media for cataloging). Thus I keyword on my MacBook Pro while on the trip and manage my catalog on my Dual G5 back home.

Have fun,

SteveM

IIP - PM - CS3 (Bridge, ACR, PS) - XM - OS X
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: