The DAM Forum
August 02, 2021, 04:42:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Should EM2 run well on XP w/2.8Ghz and 1GB RAM?  (Read 4403 times)
Doug

View Profile Email
« on: September 18, 2008, 09:59:29 PM »

I am using EM2 on a Windows machine that is not mine and it is running really poorly. Its a Dell, not sure the model #, but it has a 2.8Ghz processor and 1GB RAM.

Of the many tasks its doing poorly, perhaps the worst is when I click on a folder in the Catalog Folders pane. Painfully slow.

My comparison is a Macbook 2.0ghz, 3GB RAM with 10.5. I know the dell won't be as speedy, but what this seems crazy slow. I'm just wondering if RAM might be the main problem and if I should beg the tech guy in the office for more ram to stick in it.

Thanks to any habitual EM users on XP....

Doug
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 02:18:38 AM »

Doug,
Is the drive an internal or directly connected drive?
Peter
Doug

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 03:22:14 PM »

EM and the catalog file are on an internal drive. The image files are on a networked drive (I have "display previews at all times" checked to avoid EM accessing the files). This was my next guess for the poor performance, but I couldn't think of why it would be a problem if EM isn't trying to get the files. Is the networked drive the issue? Any fix or workaround?

Late in the day I moved to a different machine with 3GB ram and the problem persisted, so its obviously not a RAM issue. I did a work-around for part of the project: copying a large directory of image files to a pocket 2.5" HD and just using my Mac. This won't work for everything, as the jpegs I'm trying to organize are mixed in amongst a gazillion other files that I can't easily migrate around.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 11:31:32 PM »

Doug,
If the networked drive is not mounted, does the speed problem disappear?
Peter
Doug

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 01:54:39 AM »

Why yes it does. So EM is accessing the drive even though it seems like it shouldn't need to.  Disconnecting had not even occurred to me, but it probably should have. Thanks, Peter.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 03:33:47 AM »

Doug,
When the drive is connected, EM is trying to check a number of things - missing files, particularly.  It can create background processing which can slow things down.  If this is dragging down performance for extended periods of time, there is a problem.  Does the issue "settle down" after a while, or does it continue?
Peter

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: