The DAM Forum
June 13, 2021, 05:41:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Thumbnails missing for DNG created from JPG  (Read 4605 times)
dcthompson

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2008, 01:58:53 AM »

Hi all,

I have searched high and low for the answer to this but, so far, no luck.  So...  I have decided to convert JPGs to DNGs for workflow and non-destructive edit purposes and have hit a minor(?) snag.  When I look at the DNG file in the Leopard Finder it only shows the default DNG icon and a size of 0x0.  I have tried various things like rebuilding previews, etc. but it appears that Leopard just can't recognize the image in the DNG (it works fine on Nikon .NEF and Panasonic .RAW files that have been converted to DNG).  Also,  Lightroom (released and beta), PS, and Photo Mechanic can display the image (I assume the preview) just fine.

I consider this a minor snag since I rarely look at the files in this manner but my wife and daughter are likely to look at them with Quick Look, etc. at times.

Anyone know the (probably obvious) reason?

Thanks,
David
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 08:30:16 PM »

David,
I don't think that Apple will let the user see the preview ever.  And they probably only support decoding DNG files that have mosaiced camera raw data in them, not rendered data like the JPEG (now TIFF) data that yours were built with.  This is incomplete DNG implementation on Apple's part.

Peter
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: