Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Tethered shoot into a custom crop?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2021, 08:49:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Workflow Discussions
| |-+  Tethered Shooting
| | |-+  Tethered shoot into a custom crop?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tethered shoot into a custom crop?  (Read 13564 times)
andycollings

View Profile Email
« on: March 21, 2008, 03:55:11 PM »

I was wondering if it was possible to somehow shoot into a "custom crop" as you do tethered shooting? I have a regular client that I shoot their products for every couple months. And we always have to crop them all to the same proportions. It would be great to shoot into a crop, or somehow "place" the image into a crop. I'm able to use Live View with my 1D mk III.
Any suggestions?
Andy
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 07:55:25 AM »

Hi Andy,

What app are you using for tethered shooting?

Unfortunately, Lightroom doesn't allow you to save the crop as part of a preset...so you can't automatically apply a crop at capture time.  You can, however crop one image and then apply the crop to the whole batch by synchronizing settings.

I believe Capture One Pro on a mac will allow you to have a crop applied directly to each incoming image.  On a PC, though, I think that functionality is missing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Andris
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 08:16:55 AM »

2 points here, Andris. You're fundamentally correct in what you say about Lightroom, but you can save custom crop proportions, and matching export presets. Secondly, rather than the "crop one then sync" two-step, it's more efficient to switch Lightroom into AutoSync mode so your crop applies to all selected images.

John
andris

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:23:05 AM »

Hi John,

Good point about the export presets, though I'd be scared about exporting with a crop I hadn't seen on screen.

I've never used the AutoSync feature, I'll have to play with it.

Thanks,

Andris
jakobox

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:13:08 AM »

I can confirm that Capture One (on a mac at least) can be set so that the images have the crop on them as they come in. This definitely can be nice if you have a client around comparing what you're shooting to a layout they want to drop it into.

You can indeed apply a crop to a batch of files in Lightroom after they've come in, but it's definitely a different experience for your client than actually seeing the images come in already cropped. That's one of the main limitation IMHO, of the LR interface of C1 Pro.

--jake
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: