Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
DNG and JPEGs
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 14, 2020, 04:00:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Migration Issues
| | |-+  DNG and JPEGs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DNG and JPEGs  (Read 6353 times)
DAM_neophyte

View Profile
« on: July 29, 2006, 08:21:15 PM »

I'm very new to DAM but very recently read Peter Krogh's book .. excellent book btw.  I have a sizable legacy collection that I'm poised to organize.  I'm very grateful to have stubled upon this group .. what a great idea!  Three questions if you please:

1.  I get converting my RAW files to DNG ... what about JPEGs.  Are these renamed and archived ... or can they too be converted to DNG?  My understanding is DNG is for RAW files .. but what of my other formats?  I have some bitmaps, JPEGs and regular old Photoshop files (for a little while there I felt like that made the most sense for long term storage).

2.  With maybe five years of digital images, how does one start the bucket arrangement?  My files are currently in a subject hierarchy.  Would I just dig in wherever, rename, metadata, yada yada and put into appropriate size buckets willy nilly?  Or is there a logical order to do this?

3.  I ordered iView Pro the other day.  It seems one can use this for things other than just photos ... PDF documents, movies, even Office documents.  Is anyone taking advantage of that functionality ... if so .. how?

- Jim

Joe Reifer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 02:56:33 PM »

hi Jim -

1. DNG is a container for your RAW files. JPEGs can stay just how they are.
2. You need to decide on a logic and bucket size that works well for you. Many people organize by shoot. I use DVD as one of my backups, so i put each shoot in a bucket until it hits 4GB. If you're not sure, go back and take a look at your archive, reread this section in the book, and see what makes the most sense. You could always import your images into iView with your current structure and then use the metadata within iView to rearrange by date.
3. I mostly use iView for photos. A few small movie files, but that's about it.

Cheers,

Joe

1.  I get converting my RAW files to DNG ... what about JPEGs.  Are these renamed and archived ... or can they too be converted to DNG?  My understanding is DNG is for RAW files .. but what of my other formats?  I have some bitmaps, JPEGs and regular old Photoshop files (for a little while there I felt like that made the most sense for long term storage).

2.  With maybe five years of digital images, how does one start the bucket arrangement?  My files are currently in a subject hierarchy.  Would I just dig in wherever, rename, metadata, yada yada and put into appropriate size buckets willy nilly?  Or is there a logical order to do this?

3.  I ordered iView Pro the other day.  It seems one can use this for things other than just photos ... PDF documents, movies, even Office documents.  Is anyone taking advantage of that functionality ... if so .. how?

- Jim

Canon digital, Mac OS 10.45, iView 3.02
DAM_neophyte

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 05:13:15 PM »

Thank you for your thoughts Joe.  I may have to give this book another read after I explore the software some more.  It makes more and more sense when you get into the process. 

1.  I guess I got a little confused when it came to JPEGs.  All this discussion about embedding metada into JPEG's got me thinking that they were converted to DNGs somehow.  I think I get it now.

2.  The bucket things still eludes me a bit ... it's difficult to assertain what hierarchy makes the most sense.  I have a RAID that does a mirror of my main drive ... and a usb connect hard drive will Ghost my drive at weekly intervals.  I'm not sure if it makes sense to reorg my legacy file.  Would it make sense to just leave the legacy files in their hierarchy ... and then "bucket" all future shoots?

4.  Thanks for your feedback ... I have movies as well.  But I've been using PaperPort for my PDFs ... I'm pondering if just creating folders in iView would suffice.  I wonder if anyone else is using it in this manner?

jim
Joe Reifer

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 11:47:10 AM »

Leaving your legacy files alone for now, and starting on a workflow adapted from the book is a good course of action. After you've been working with the new workflow for awhile, the lightbulbs will start to go off on ideas for how to get the legacy files in shape. I highly recommend keeping a notebook by the computer so you can write down these ideas when they happen.  Smiley

Canon digital, Mac OS 10.45, iView 3.02
piratejabez

tanuki86
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2006, 08:58:03 PM »

good advice, joe r.

Cory S
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: