Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Buckets system
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 08:26:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Buckets system
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Buckets system  (Read 4937 times)
kzdyb

View Profile Email
« on: July 28, 2006, 10:00:02 AM »

I have been using the "bucket" system for organizing my files and like the way it was suggested in The Dam Book. I am not a photographer but I do enjoy and take many pictures....for my own personal use. I just installed Image Ingester and tried following the suggested "simplified workflow" .

I do really like this for importing my pictures and creating DNG's. It seems to be fewer steps, as I am not doing this professionally. What I don't understand, and I am sure I am making more out of this than I need to (because I do like to be VERY organized). With the bucket system I control the size of the folders and I back them up once the folders will fit on a DVD. This process is scalable and easy to backup and restore.

Now that I have Image Ingester it has changed the folder structure and I am not sure how to back up on to DVD's or keep thing's in order. I also liked the ability to SEE that my ORIGINAL and DERIVATIVE folders were identical. HELP...I hope I explained this well enough for somebody to be able to explain what to do.

--Kevin
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 10:48:12 AM »

Kevin--

The way ImageIngester and ImageIngesterPro handle folders is undergoing development, so the different versions behave differently. Can you elaborate on what ImageIngester is doing (i.e., how you have your preferences set), what version that was with and on what platform,  and what you would like it to do differently? It's possible that one of the newer betas does what you want, or that I can make a future version do what you want as I continue to work in this area.

As far as The DAM Book goes, however, buckets are used in the archive tree, while ImageIngester ingests into the working tree. So, for the simplified workflow, where you ingest directly into the archive tree, I haven't yet paid much attention to buckets. I do want to look at this issue, however.

--Marc

kzdyb

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 02:05:56 PM »

I have version 1.5.2 installed on a mac G5 running 10.4.7

This is my how i started integrating Image Ingester (II) into my current DAM workflow. I like the automation of II so I have auto ingest & autoeject setup. I shoot 80 % RAW and its my understanding that the Backup Image folder will be just a temporary place for my Nikon NEF files. That will be deleted as Peter Krogh suggests to archive DNG's and not the raw files. I have II rename to my ingested files to Zdyb_20060728_120430.dng and it places them in the Primary Image Folder. That folder is now the working tree, right? If I set up Iview to Automatically update (which I think is a fast & clean way to set this up) than at what point do I archive the "original" File??

Let me explain what I was doing before.....following Peter's book once importing the files and after I used Bridge to Rank, Apply camera raw and save as DnG's I would copy the folder that I saved the DNG's to and Drag them into 2 separate folders named DERIVATIVE 1 and ORIGINAL 1. I would use iView to update from DERIVATIVE 1 and ORIGINAL 1 would be archived. In EACH of these folders were smaller folders (buckets)- each folder was small enough to fit on a single DVD for DVD backup. What I didn't like about this process was the fact that in dragging the DNG's I had to keep fiddling with how many that I would drag in order to keep the "buckets" the correct size.

I apologize if I don't use the proper wording but I am relatively new to this whole process. I switched from Iphoto at the end of 2005 because I did not like the way Iphoto's file system and manipulation of the files.
Thanks,
Kevin
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 05:51:11 PM »

Kevin--

Here's what might work to combine the bucket approach with ingesting directly into the archive:

Use the Pro version, which is available as a beta. There's a link to it at the left of the ImageIngester web site. The Pro version lets you set a destination folder from the main window. (Or, you can do the same thing with the Primary Folder Preference of the non-Pro version.)

Set the destination to the bucket. Then, use Number-Range Folders. Each ingestion will go into its own folder as a subfolder of the bucket.

This will give you a structure identical to what's shown on p. 155 of The DAM Book.

When the bucket fills up, which you have to check for manually:

1. Burn the bucket to write-only media, and
2. Reset the destination folder to the next bucket.

With this scheme (and with all bucket schemes), you are arranging according to bucket, not according to content. Use iView (or equivalent) for content navigation.

Does this make sense? Am I missing something?

--Marc

kzdyb

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 07:36:42 PM »

WOW...I racked my brain for most of today trying to figure out a solution!!! I will have to take a bunch of photos and see how this works. It looks like an excellent solution!!! Thank You. My whole DAM workflow is shaping up.

I have one question about this that comes to mind. Will I use the Backup image folder and archive from this? If I do this then all of my archives will be in the NEF raw format. Peter suggests that DNG's are a better format to archive. I do like the fact that the file name of the archive & working files will be identical with the exception of the file type extension. I really like the fact that I can continue to use the bucket system, I think Peter's bucket concept is GREAT. If I use your suggestion then I can watch the buckets automatically grow and just point to the next bucket when it’s at the right size. If I overfill the bucket then it will be easy to revert as I can just remove the last Number-Range folder!!!

Thank you for your help on this,
Kevin
Domip

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 05:07:11 AM »

...that seems all so easy for you, but hard to understand in my opinion !

Couldn't that be automised ?

Previously (before buying the DAMbook) I used ArchiveCreator from Peter Morrone to backup to cd/dvd once all the work (ranking,converting) was done. This program (check it out) split automatically  to span on multiple DVD's..

Marc, this is something you really should evaluate, to incorporate in your ImageIngester !
That would be a GREAT supervalue-added...

I hope you do.

Best regards,
Dominique
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: