Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Extra 'User-Named Folder' on Windows Beta 1.65B5W
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 08:13:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Extra 'User-Named Folder' on Windows Beta 1.65B5W
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Extra 'User-Named Folder' on Windows Beta 1.65B5W  (Read 3863 times)
jomilo75

View Profile Email
« on: July 26, 2006, 04:20:02 PM »

Marc

I have two issues with respect to the Windows Beta 1.65B5W and 'User-Named Folders'

1 .....

When I specify a 'User-Named Folder' and Year and Year-Date folders, an extra 'user-named folder' is created at the same directory level as the year folder.

For example, the following directory structure is what I expect with a 'user-named folder' set to 'JML'

Photos
--2006-01-01
---JML
-----JML_20060101_001.JPG

What results in the beta is

Photos
--2006-01-01
---JML
-----JML_20060101_001.JPG
-JML

There are no images stored in the extra JML folder

Update ... I just found this in the documentation:

"If you check User-Named Folder, you can set the folder from the drop-down on the main window. You can choose an existing folder under the Primary Image Folder, or create a new one. (The choices are always the folders under the Primary Image Folder, even if the actual folders get created under a date folder. In this case the user-named folders under the Primary Image Folder will be empty.)"

I am guessing this has something to do with what I am seeing. But, I'm not sure why. Can you elaborate/explain?

2 .....

If you set the 'user-named folder' on the main window, and then open up the preferences dialog and make changes, but do not save a new preference set, when you close the preferences dialog the 'user-named folder' reverts to the previous preference set.

So, in my case, I opened up II and, in the main window, changed the 'user named folder' from 2006 to JML and then opened the preferences dialog and made changes. I did not save a preferences set, and when I closed the dialog, the 'user named folder' was returned to 2006.

I'm not sure what the 'best practice' would be for this setting. I raise it because I have been burned by it a few times now where I expected JML folders to be created and 2006 folders were created instead. Is there a reason the 'user named folder' is specified on the main window. Could it just be part of the preferences dialog?

josh
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 04:24:27 PM by jomilo75 » Logged
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 07:05:31 PM »

Josh--

Thanks for this report... I need to track these down.

--Marc

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 11:43:16 AM »

Josh--

I found a bug on Windows that was causing your problem #2. The selections were erroneously being reset.

There's a new beta (1.6.6) that you can download from the beta page on the web site. I'm planning for this beta to be released in a few days, unless there are any other problems that need fixing.

As for your problem #1, that's by design, although I admit that it's awkward and somewhat confusing. Rather than change it, I've implemented a better design in the Pro version (Destination folders).

--Marc

jomilo75

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 11:59:18 AM »

Thanks for the comments marc. I downloaded the new version and that bug is, indeed, fixed.

I am glad to hear you also see the confusion bug/feature #1 causes. I am distributing II to a number of users who are not as experienced as myself. Because of that, I like II for its simplicity and straight-forward approach to doing one thing well and reliably. But, things like extra-folders are just the types of things that can confuse novice users.

At least now, I can tell them it is supposed to happen and not to worry.

cheers
josh
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: