Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Project & Client Folders
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 08:00:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Project & Client Folders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Project & Client Folders  (Read 7877 times)
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:15:01 AM »

Can someone explain to me how they're using the new Client & Project folders in IIPro? 

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 05:45:05 AM »

Mike,
For the upcoming Lightroom Adventure (http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/adventure/) I'll be playing with this.  It will either be

Lightroom Adventure (Client term)
>Rekyavik (project term)
>>0001-0257
>>0258-0479

Rekyavik (Client Term)
>Blue Lagoon (project term)
>>0001-0257
>>0258-0479

In all likelihood, it will be the former, since I don't keep notes as I shoot and the foldering will be done based on where and when I download, rather than what I know is on the cards.
Peter
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 05:23:33 PM »

Peter is on the right track. Client is essentially a Level 1 Label, and Project is a Level 2 Label. They can be anything at all.

An ingestion is considered to be part of a Project, however. The model doesn't handle ingestions of images from several Projects. If that happens, you have to move the images by hand.

(An ingestion is also related to a single Card, but that's always going to be true. If you're re-ingesting from a hard drive, the "card" can just be the name of the drive.)

I will be thrilled if ImageIngester gets to make the trip, seeing as somehow I misplaced my personal invitation. ;-)

--Marc

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 05:43:30 PM »

ImageIngester will be there...
Sorry you can't come along. ;-)
Peter
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 07:59:15 PM »

thanks guys... but what I want to know is how to actually set/use these features in IIPro.  I think I understand the concept.  For example, I have a client, XYZCorp, and I shoot different 'projects' for them.  Can I save XYZCorp as a Client folder and with each new project I shoot, the images are ingested into that parent folder with a new project folder for that particular project? 

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 08:29:02 PM »

Right, or any other way that seems useful.
Peter
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 09:40:49 PM »

Mike--

From the database window, you select the Client drop-down, and then use the plus button on the bottom to make as many Client rows as you need, adding more from time to time as needed. Some of the data can also be edited directly in the grid.

Similarly, you create Projects for a given Client. Two distinct Clients can have Projects with the same name, but they are considered to be separate Projects. ImageIngester doesn't support multi-client Projects.

Whether a Client and/or Project is actually used for folder nesting depends on the options you've selected in the Preferences under the Arrangement tab. You can see what you'll get from the Example layout on the Preferences panel.

Data is accumulated for every ingestion, and it's associated with the Project (and indirectly the Client) you select from the drop-downs at ingestion time. Same for the Card.

If, after creating a Cliient, Project, or Card you don't see it in the drop-down, choose the Refresh command.

Hope this helps...

--Marc

danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 05:43:30 AM »

Marc,

I wish you had IIPro working under Windows so I could see this first hand... any time frame on that?

I'm thinking that "Project" and "Client" are really more assignment specific keywords that may not necessarily apply for personal or stock production type work (see Peter's use above).  The terms "Heading" and "Category" might be more general purpose.  I've seen these terms used as the top two tiers in other controlled vocabulary applications.  Just a thought.

It might be nice too if the Heading and Catagory could be used automatically as an iView catalog set and subset based on an iView compatibility preference setting.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 06:19:14 AM »

Dan--

No schedule for the Windows version. I won't start it until the Mac version is complete, and there's no schedule for the Mac, either. (ImageIngester isn't my day job, although sometimes I have a few days in a row to work on it.)

More abstract terms do make sense, although the concrete terms Client and Project are somewhat easier to explain. I'll give this one some thought.

Indeed, I do plan to find a way to work these and some other data items into iView metadata.

--Marc

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 06:56:36 AM »

Marc,
I think it would be pretty easy to simply replicate the Client/Project structure in the format of iView Catalog Sets XMP.

So when you add
>PBS
>>Lori Holton Nash

it would write that structure to the catalog sets.  This would be really good.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 08:28:49 AM »

You could even take this a step further and support Heading->Category->Sub-Category, which should suffice for the majority of jobs.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 08:49:04 AM »

Two levels is fine for me for folder hierarchy, particularly for download.  Three levels would be better for catalog sets.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 09:51:03 AM »

Good point.  I agree.

And whether you choose Client/Project or Heading/Category is not that important either.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 09:53:29 AM by danaltick » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: