The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:28:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Buckets logic with large,edited and old files
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Buckets logic with large,edited and old files  (Read 2258 times)
Angels

View Profile Email
« on: July 23, 2006, 06:49:09 AM »

After reading te book and alot of topics i decided to start my own "bucket" topic. Hope you don't beat me Tongue

Currently i used a year/date folder structure which is hard to backup to a external Medium (f.e. DVD). Before reading the book i broke my mind on how to backup to mediums like DVD. The bucket system seems to be perfect and i will change my method to a bucket system, after clearing some question :

- before adding something to the bucket i should add all metadata to the new photos it and rename the files, right? (otherwise it will hard to find the new pictures in the bucket)

- it doesn't matter what date/serie the image in a bucket is? f.e. if i decide to scan some old pictures, i just add it to the latest bucket, because there is no sorting done in buckets, but only by metadata. Did i get this right? ( it seems as if there is a chronological order in the book, because photoshootings are done in a chronological order, but what if i just start sorting and have no such order?)

- I saw some kind of subsorting of sets in those bucks (photoshooting names... or whatever). What if a buck is full before adding a set to the bucket? Do you split? - I will run into this situation, because i have scanned in tiffs, each folder of a set is 10-20GB large. (Bucketsize is DVD size)

... did i write to confusing?  Embarrassed

Edit:

- how do you handle altered images? f.e. the derivative folder: what if you burn the derivated folder to a dvd an lets say in 2-3 months you alter the image again, do you add it to a new bucket?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 06:51:42 AM by Angels » Logged
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 07:54:37 AM »

Angels,
Yes to pretty much everything you asked.
Peter
Angels

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 08:29:28 AM »

Angels,
Yes to pretty much everything you asked.
Peter

Thanks for the short, but usefull answer Smiley
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 11:44:02 AM »

Angels,

If you go back and alter a derivative file after the bucket has been backed up and burned for that file, those changes will not get burned again or backed up to secondary storage (assuming you are adhering to the book).  If you want those changes to get backed up and burned again, you should create another derivative file in the current derivative bucket with a different name.  If the changes I'm making are minor, I usually don't concern myself with creating another derivative.  If they are significant, such as a new type of 'special effect', I will create a new derivative in the current bucket.

Example:
    old master derivative created from the DNG: altick_060217_4567.tiff
    new special effect derivative made from the master: altick_060217_4567_se1.tiff  (Note - only a postfix change)

I usually catalog all my originals and their derivatives in the same catalog set(s) so they show up next to each other in the catalog manager even though they may be in different buckets.  My thinking on this may change as my catalog grows.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 11:51:00 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: