Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ImageIngester Bug with Metadata Templates and RAW
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 10:52:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  ImageIngester Bug with Metadata Templates and RAW
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ImageIngester Bug with Metadata Templates and RAW  (Read 6498 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: July 18, 2006, 01:47:52 PM »

Marc,
I have been noodling around with II, and I found some interesting behavior.  If you apply a metadata template that has EXIF or ACR stuff in it, that information will also be applied.  So, unless you are making templates from documents that you have created from scratch in Photoshop, you will be putting some bad information in the XMP sidecar file, which would eventually make its way into the catalog or DNG file.

When Bridge applies a template, it knows to only apply the IPTC (and some XMP) data.  Since II is just doing a simple text copy (right?) it is copying all this other stuff to the XMP file.

This is both good annd bad news.  THe bad news is that you will have to do some more engineering to get II where it needs to be.  I suggest that you need to build a "template Maker" that will either edit a current template or create one from whole cloth.

The good news is that this solves the rotation bug reported earlier, and the really good news is that the images come in with your Camera Raw Defaults applied, if you edit the template to get rid of EXIF but save the ACR stuff.

I've pasted in below what a good working template looks like for me.  essentially it is the first part of the XMP file/template, which are the Camera Raw settings with the Unique filename taken out, and the last part of the XMP File/Template which is the IPTC info.

<?xpacket begin="Ôªø" id="W5M0MpCehiHzreSzNTczkc9d"?>
<x:xmpmeta xmlns:x="adobe:ns:meta/" x:xmptk="3.1.2-113">
   <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
      <rdf:Description rdf:about=""
            xmlns:crs="http://ns.adobe.com/camera-raw-settings/1.0/">
         <crs:Version>3.3</crs:Version>
         <crs:WhiteBalance>As Shot</crs:WhiteBalance>
         <crs:Exposure>0.00</crs:Exposure>
         <crs:AutoShadows>True</crs:AutoShadows>
         <crs:Brightness>50</crs:Brightness>
         <crs:Contrast>+25</crs:Contrast>
         <crs:Saturation>0</crs:Saturation>
         <crs:Sharpness>75</crs:Sharpness>
         <crs:LuminanceSmoothing>0</crs:LuminanceSmoothing>
         <crs:ColorNoiseReduction>25</crs:ColorNoiseReduction>
         <crs:ChromaticAberrationR>0</crs:ChromaticAberrationR>
         <crs:ChromaticAberrationB>0</crs:ChromaticAberrationB>
         <crs:VignetteAmount>-1</crs:VignetteAmount>
         <crs:VignetteMidpoint>50</crs:VignetteMidpoint>
         <crs:ShadowTint>0</crs:ShadowTint>
         <crs:RedHue>0</crs:RedHue>
         <crs:RedSaturation>0</crs:RedSaturation>
         <crs:GreenHue>0</crs:GreenHue>
         <crs:GreenSaturation>0</crs:GreenSaturation>
         <crs:BlueHue>0</crs:BlueHue>
         <crs:BlueSaturation>0</crs:BlueSaturation>
         <crs:ToneCurveName>Medium Contrast</crs:ToneCurveName>
         <crs:CameraProfile>ACR 3.3</crs:CameraProfile>
         <crs:HasSettings>True</crs:HasSettings>
         <crs:HasCrop>False</crs:HasCrop>
         <crs:ToneCurve>
            <rdf:Seq>
               <rdf:li>0, 0</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>32, 22</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>64, 56</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>128, 128</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>192, 196</rdf:li>
               <rdf:li>255, 255</rdf:li>
            </rdf:Seq>
         </crs:ToneCurve>
      </rdf:Description>

xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
         <dc:CreatorTool>Ver.1.00</dc:CreatorTool>
         <dc:creator>
            <rdf:Seq>
               <rdf:li>Peter Krogh</rdf:li>
            </rdf:Seq>
         </dc:creator>
         <dc:rights>
            <rdf:Alt>
               <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">¬© Peter Krogh</rdf:li>
            </rdf:Alt>
         </dc:rights>
            xmlns:photoshop="http://ns.adobe.com/photoshop/1.0/">
         <photoshop:AuthorsPosition>Photographer</photoshop:AuthorsPosition>
         <photoshop:Instructions>No usage authorized without prior written permission.</photoshop:Instructions>
            xmlns:xapRights="http://ns.adobe.com/xap/1.0/rights/">
         <xapRights:Marked>True</xapRights:Marked>
         <xapRights:WebStatement>www.peterkrogh.com</xapRights:WebStatement>
         <xapRights:UsageTerms>
            <rdf:Alt>
               <rdf:li xml:lang="x-default">No usage authorized without prior written permission.</rdf:li>
            </rdf:Alt>
         </xapRights:UsageTerms>
            xmlns:Iptc4xmpCore="http://iptc.org/std/Iptc4xmpCore/1.0/xmlns/">
         <Iptc4xmpCore:CreatorContactInfo rdf:parseType="Resource">
            <Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrExtadr>3301 Oberon St.</Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrExtadr>
            <Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrCity>Kensington</Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrCity>
            <Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrRegion>MD</Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrRegion>
            <Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrPcode>20895</Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrPcode>
            <Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrCtry>USA</Iptc4xmpCore:CiAdrCtry>
            <Iptc4xmpCore:CiTelWork>301-933-2468 (Studio)&#xA;301-529-5505 (Mobile)</Iptc4xmpCore:CiTelWork>
            <Iptc4xmpCore:CiEmailWork>peter@peterkrogh.com&#xA;kroghphoto@aol.com</Iptc4xmpCore:CiEmailWork>
            <Iptc4xmpCore:CiUrlWork>www.peterkrogh.com&#xA;www.theDAMbook.com&#xA;www.DAMuseful.com</Iptc4xmpCore:CiUrlWork>
         </Iptc4xmpCore:CreatorContactInfo>
   </rdf:RDF>
</x:xmpmeta>
<?xpacket end="w"?>
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 04:09:13 PM »

Peter,

That's interesting.  I haven't noticed this problem.  My EXIF data seems to be coming through fine for me.  Here is one of my templates that I use http://altechfrontier.com/Forums/DamUseful/Zoo.xmp.  I created it from an existing Raw file.  It has EXIF data in it.  However, I'm still running with version 1.5.2 of II.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 05:51:39 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 06:25:03 AM »

Dan,
I was using Pro, with RAW files, and I was looking at the images in Bridge.  I did not test with DNG, nor did I test how this would come through into iView.  Instead, I just edited the template, which seemed to cure the problem, although it will make creating new templates harder, since they need to be made by hand.

Also, I remembered as I was looking through this stuff that the order of the blocks of information in the Template is not consistent, so it can be a bit of a chore to track down the offending blocks to alter or remove.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 08:10:16 AM »

Peter,

I see.  Well, I'm not a template expert, and I haven't tested from Bridge/Raw; only iView with the final DNG's.  Maybe you should send Marc an email on this.  I don't won't to spend time recreating my templates from scratch if he has a resolution for this.  It does seem strange that I'm not seeing it with 1.5.2 on Windows.  If he is truly just copying the whole template, I would think I would be seeing this even with the final DNG's.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:29:50 AM »

Well,
I'm guessing that the DNG converter lets the embedded EXIF trump the sidecar EXIF, and builds the DNG correctly.

BTW, the log feature in Pro is a godsend.  It fills in my checklist automatically.  Wonderful.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 12:02:31 PM »

Peter,

Makes sense.  That must be what's happening.

I will have to check out the Pro version when get my electricity back.  In case you didn't know, half the St. Louis area lost power last night due to a horrific electrical storm and wind gusts.  If you were a lightening photographer, you could have gotten some amazing shots.  I was on the interstate when it happened but didn't have my camera.  I won't be surprised if it's several days before we have electricity again.  This is the third year in a row this has happened, and it seems to get worse every year.  Fortunately, it's summer time.  I have a $1000 leopard gecko that I bought special about a year ago.  It took 20 generations of breeding to create him.  He is a R.A.P.T.O.R.  I bought him here http://www.leopardgecko.com/.  I was on a six month waiting list just to get him.  My vivarium currently has no heat.  I panicked last winter when we lost electricity for a day.  I'm going to do some green-screen macro shots of him when I get the time.  I'll have to post one up.  He's my pride and joy ;-).

Dan
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 02:55:31 PM by danaltick » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 06:51:38 PM »

For those of you wondering where the usually responsive Marc is, well, he's on vacation.  Hell be back next week and take a look at these issues.
Peter
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 05:57:53 PM »

[Back from vacation]

I made some comments about templates on another thread or two. All ImageIngester ever did is copy the template straight, which, as Peter notes, can be the source of grief or gratification. I assumed everyone would follow p. 128 where he says, "first create a blank image from scratch." ;-)

Anyway, I will be making up my own template in a future version of ImageIngesterPro, and all these problems will go away. There will be a lot more capability, also.

--Marc

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 07:15:16 PM »

Okay, so I did a shortcut...busted.

That is one good short-term answer, for those who don't want to open and fiddle with XMP template files.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: