Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Rotation
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 09:00:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Rotation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rotation  (Read 9445 times)
jakobox

View Profile Email
« on: July 16, 2006, 10:53:02 PM »

This topic was touched on earlier, but no one came up with a sollution.  I figure I can add some information to the discussion, so here goes.

After using Image Ingester with a metadata template, my RAW files do not auto rotate.  That is to say that if I copy the files straight off the camera, my vertical shots appear vertical in bridge.  However, after an Imageingester import, they are not auto rotated.  This is probably because the template being applied is somehow tagging the image as being a horizontal.  I created the template in bridge.  Is there any way to create a template that says the image should be rotated "as shot"?

best,

Jacob
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 07:46:36 AM »

Jacob,
Did you try to open the template in a text editor and see if you can find a rotation tag?  If so, remove it and see what happens.
Peter
roinuj

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 08:14:50 AM »

I too have noticed auto rotation is not applied after importing. I hope there is a solution to this.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 08:42:29 AM »

Are you working on RAW or DNG?  I am pretty sure that II is applying a template that has a rotation tag in it when you apply template.  You need to remove the rotation tag from the template and this should solve the problem.  Open  your template in a text editor and you should be able to figure it out.  It will be in the EXIF area, I think.
Peter
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 10:44:17 AM »

Peter,

I get the same problem and have now for some time.  Just haven't worried about it.  This didn't use to happend with II.  Not sure which release it started with.  However here is a template I get the problem with when importing my Raw files http://altechfrontier.com/Forums/DamUseful/Zoo.xmp.  Don't see a "rotate" command in it anywhere.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 01:23:32 PM »

Dan,
See if this takes care of it:

<tiff:Make>Canon</tiff:Make>
         <tiff:Model>Canon EOS 20D</tiff:Model>
         <tiff:Orientation>1</tiff:Orientation>
         <tiff:ImageWidth>3504</tiff:ImageWidth>
         <tiff:ImageLength>2336</tiff:ImageLength>
         <tiff:BitsPerSample>

Try removing the orientation tag and see if that does it.  I suggest duplicating a file with the problem, and do the following.
1. Remove the XMP file, and see if that solves it.  If so,
2. Try removing parts of the XMP file and see which part the rotation lives in.

Since II just handles XMP as text, I think it's important to prune the xmp file to only the stuff you want to attach to the file.  Conflicts may not show up immediately, but might show up later.

BTW, the first couple of lines in my dample template from the bug report post are incorrect.  I'll post a refinement later.  For some reason, the first two lines I posted cause RapidFixer to fail.  THe revised template fixes that.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 03:35:28 PM »

Peter,

Here's a default template I set up and tried following your example http://altechfrontier.com/Forums/DamUseful/Default.xmp.  It fixed the rotation problem, but I'm not sure if it applied the default ACR settings.  I didn't see the ACR settings icon in the lower right corner of the CR2 thumbnail in Bridge.  Here is the .xmp sidecar file II created using this template http://altechfrontier.com/Forums/DamUseful/altick_060722_8108.xmp.  The EXIF data looked good in Bridge though.  Don't know why II made it double-spaced.  Unfortunately I don't have a utility to compare the two files for differences.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:46:19 PM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 08:10:34 PM »

Dan,
You are missing a

</rdf:Description>

from the end of the Camera Raw description, I think.  This should be at the end of each block of info.

Also, you have a bunch of information specific to this shot, like lens info in the template. Get rid of all of this.

For the first two lines of the template, grab two lines from an XMP file.  I think the template has special instructions in those lines that Bridge knows to omit or change.  II just copies them in wholesale.

I also see some calibrate settings in this file.  Have you run the Tom Fors script for this camera, or is this some kind of custom adjustment for this file?

Here are the elements of a successful template as I made it:

First and last lines were grabbed straight from an XMP sidecar file, since this is the syntax Bridge is expecting to see.
The Camera Raw settings were brought over in a group, with temp and tint settings deleted, since they refer to the camera WB as recorder elsewhere into he ACR info.

The informational metadata can probably be most easily parsed down to the relevant stuff by creating a new file, and entering metadata - Creator details, Location, Keywords and/or other informational stuff - and then saving the template.  This will be the least junked up, and easiest to pull the desired information from.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 08:57:37 PM »

Peter,

Made all the changes and it works like a charm.  Works with RapidFixer too.

I updated the links above with the new files.  Take a quick look to make sure I got everything.

Yes, I used Tom Fors script to calibrate my settings.

Oh and don't forget to send me a copy of R&F Lite.

Thanks,
Dan
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 09:04:37 PM by danaltick » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2006, 06:03:04 AM »

Dan,
Lite is on its way.  A couple of things:

Instead of writing Ratings to keywords, it writes them to iView Labels.  Would this be a problem for you?
Labels are written to Keywords with no prefix, although since you are getting adept at hacking this stuff, you might be able to customize it yourself.
Filename is written to IPTC Title field.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2006, 07:31:49 AM »

Peter,

Got Lite, thanks.

I looked back at your post on it yesterday to remind myself why I opted not to use it a while back http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=565.0.  However, after a second look, I like some of its features; and now I see that running it in reverse might come in handy as well.

To date, all of my work is still personal, so not having the ratings-to-keywords is not a problem for me.  If and when the time comes that I might need to deliver some files to clients who might want that feature, it should be simple enough to locate those files in iView using their ratings and assign ratings keywords to them before exporting or converting.

Since I don't forsee others metalogging my images in the near future, the keywords-with-no-prefix should not be a problem either.

The filename-to-IPTC-title-field might actually be a plus.

Dan

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2006, 07:49:36 AM »

Dan,
For the record, Lite is all I use now.  Since I get to design software to de exactly as I want, that makes it easy for me. ;-)
Peter
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 05:50:14 PM »

[Back from vacation]

Quick comment on this thread:

As you already figured out, ImageIngester[Pro] doesn't tamper with the template at all, or even look inside it, but it does make many copies of it, so any stuff that's not supposed to be there will be promulgated.

As I commented in another thread, in the future ImageIngesterPro will be synthesizing its own template, which should fix the problems of using a dirty one and also allow much more power in what a template can do.

--Marc

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: