Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Create Date vs. Modified Date?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2020, 10:27:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Create Date vs. Modified Date?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Create Date vs. Modified Date?  (Read 4510 times)
sdwike

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2006, 07:21:05 PM »

Is there any way to make Image Ingester use the actual camera file creation date as the date in the name field, instead of the "modified date"?  It's fine for "brand new from camera" files, but if you have copied them to teh computer and "touched" them first, you end up with a modified date that is actually after the create date, and then Image Ingester takes that date and uses it to name the file, so you end up with erroneous date-names.

I haven't found any way to copy the EXIF "Create Date" into the "Modified Date" field as a batch process, or I'd just do that first, then run Image Ingester.

(I am using the latest beta for Windows version.)
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 08:01:19 PM »

The problem is that ImageIngester isn't smart enough to read EXIF data from every raw format out there. It could read from DNGs, of course, but then the feature would work only for those who converted to DNG.

So, I don't think this can be done any time soon.

--Marc

sdwike

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 08:13:03 PM »

Ok, I understand that.

I was actually looking for a way to do it for JPG and TIF files that already exist, but need to be renamed back to the appropriate schema for my new DAM methodology.  Unfortunately, although I can use Image Imgester (or even IFC), to do the name modifications, I end up with file names that represent the last edited date, rather than the embedded create date, which trashes a date-based filing schema.

I'll start searching for an EXIF editor that can batch process, and do it manually in groups.

Thanks, and keep up the good work.  I am looking forward to seeing what the Mac guys have, when it's available for Windows.

Thanks,

Steve
sdwike

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 05:41:13 PM »

I found that the latest PS Bridge Update has this capability now.  The Batch Rename tool has an option for Date and Time and under that is an option to use the original shot date as an element of a filename.  It is even better than the earlier version.  Bridge continually amazes me with the multitude of things it is capable of.
 Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: