Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Add basic functions to main window?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 08:01:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Add basic functions to main window?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Add basic functions to main window?  (Read 4082 times)
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 10, 2006, 07:29:40 PM »

Hi Marc,
Is there a possibility that some of the key functions, such as selecting the primary folder for ingestion, or selecting to run the DNG converter or not, can be placed on the main window rather than in preferences?  I, for one, use a folder system that is based on a client's name.  Each time I ingest a card full of images, I have to go into Preferences and change the preference before importing the card.  If I could select that from the main window, then I wouldn't have to jump back and forth into preferences, especially on the days that I shoot more than one job (on seperate cards) and need to download to quite a few different folders.  Or on some jobs I run the DNG converter during ingest rather than afterwards ( for example; as explained in the DAM book - after making adjustements in ACR).

I like the way the main window describes what is happening, but I would rather see that real-estate used for some of the main functions like described above, and maybe have a seperate window pop-up with the progress report.  With the Preference Set selectable in the main window, anyone that has a standard workflow can select their preference from there.

Thoughs?

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 07:58:22 PM »

Mike--

Generally, I agree with this approach. Those who have followed ImageIngester since its beginning have seen more on the main window over time. However, another trend is that there are more and more preferences. In a new UI design that I'm working on now, still in its early stages, the Preference panel has now gone to tabs, since the present panel is out of real estate.

To some extent, the new Preference Set feature addresses the same need, but, still, there are some preferences that ought to go onto the main panel. Certainly the Primary Folder is one of them, and maybe a few others.

I'll incorporate some of this idea into my newest design and, as usual, the feedback from users will tell me how close to the mark my guesses are.

--Marc

Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 08:26:11 PM »

Thanks Marc.  I'm really enjoying it so far and just looking at a little tweaking to make it perfect... for me at least.  Grin
All the other's that I've tried are lacking something... but there was no way to request changes or make suggestions.  I find I'm dealing more and more with software where this is possible.  I sure do appreciate your efforts, your support and of course the price!!  Thanks again.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: