Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
New ImageIngester Beta (1.6.2) for Mac and Windows
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 08:39:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  New ImageIngester Beta (1.6.2) for Mac and Windows
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New ImageIngester Beta (1.6.2) for Mac and Windows  (Read 12337 times)
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 30, 2006, 10:17:07 AM »

The newest beta, just posted today, has a redesigned ingestion engine that has some improvements asked for by many users:

1. The backup folder layout is now identical to that of the primary folder(s). No more folder names like IMG_YYYYMMDD_NNNNNN.

2. The extra copy to a staging folder has been eliminated. This gives a 33% speed improvement if DNG Converter isn't run, and about 10% it it is.

3. You can ingest from anywhere, not only from folders that meed the DCF standard (DCIM folder, etc.). You don't need a DCIM folder, and the image files can be many levels deep. ImageIngester will descend the folder tree as deeply as it goes. Note that all files are ingested, not just images, so you probably don't just want to select an arbitrary folder on your hard drive.

Because so much is new, be very careful to check the resulting ingested image files to make sure they're all there.

You can read more details and download the beta at http://basepath.com/ImageIngester/download_main_new.php.

--Marc

onlyme

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 04:56:20 AM »

Great stuff, Marc - thanks.  Would it be possible to e-mail users about beta updates as I only came across this by chance.  Maybe you could have an opt-in list of users who're happy to do beta testing that could receive this info?
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 06:17:29 AM »

I do email users who have registered on the ImageIngester site, but usually a few days after I first post the beta. I like to get a little preliminary verification first, for which this forum is ideal.

Maybe keeping a separate list of beta users would be a good idea... those I could then notify right away. I'll see if I can set something like this up.

--Marc

Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 06:11:52 AM »

Marc,

The update looks good.  The only thing that I really need is the ability to navigate to the folder I want to ingest to.  For example, when I have a new client, I have a set of folders that are created under that client's name, such as; RAW, Proofs, Processed, To Print, etc.  It's a standard set of folders I have for each and every client.  When I'm ingesting a shoot, these folders are already set up and I would like to simply point to the appropriate folder and download there.  My Primary image folder changes depending on the type of job and it's a pain to have to go into preferences and select a new primary folder each time I'm ingesting.

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2006, 11:13:05 AM »

Mike--

What's needed, I guess, is a "[user choice]" option for the Primary Folder, as there is now for the Card Folder.

Does that sound right?

--Marc

Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »

Sorta-kinda Marc.  But I don't want to have to go to Preferences each time to choose the folder for downloading to.  If it was in the main window - like the User-Named Folder (under the MetaData Template chooser), only have that a drop down folder search would be awesome, and still include the "New Folder" option would be perfect.

Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2006, 02:59:51 PM »

Hey Marc,

Just another thought, can you add on an Auto-Quit in the preferences similar to the Auto-Eject for the CF card?  That way once the card is downloaded, it will eject the card and then quit the program.  Just to save another precious keystroke!!  Grin

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 09:17:50 PM »

I don't think I'll add Auto-Quit, because it makes it too difficult to report the status of the ingestion. Of course, one could program it so that it quit only on success, but the reality is that all programs can quit for other reasons, too. Yes, there could be a log, or email, or whatever, but that starts to get really complicated.

--Marc

Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 04:30:07 AM »

Understandable.  Thanks Marc.

mlougee

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 08:38:35 AM »

Great new features... Does the ingest-from-anywhere functionally mean that your PF-017 "Operate on Arbitrary Folders" has now been implemented?  The way I read the beta 1.6.2 description, it sounds like it's the same as PF-017.

If that's true, this might be getting very close to the "watched folder" capability, in which any (1, or >1, I wonder) folders could be optionally set to be "watched" for new files, which would then be automagically ingested. 

This is really neat for the possibility of a "workgroup,"  in which a group of photographers could upload to a networked environment (say with each person having their own uniquely-named folder), and then their images could be ingested whenever they upload to their folder.  If each photographer added some IPTC metadata before ingestion, their images could later be DAM'd by the "central DAM'er," and there could be a combination of DAM by the shooter and DAM by the "authoritative" editor, or maybe image librarian, (who wanted to add some uniform and controlled metadata).

I wonder if Microsoft is interested in iViewMediaPro for workgroups (but that's for another forum, sorry).
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 10:30:47 PM »

Right... the new features include PF-017.

The watched-folder idea will require a lot of very complicated system programming, so it will be a while for it.

--Marc

AnthonyRalph

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 12:13:37 AM »

The newest beta, just posted today, has a redesigned ingestion engine that has some improvements asked for by many users:

[..]

Has anybody (apart from me) had any difficulty with completing an ingest with this version? Regardless of the source being a CF card (in a reader) from my Canon 5D or a folder on my Win PC, all ingests end with an error message being displayed stating that the program has  not been able to create 'the folder' . I find the backup location has a fresh folder (or folders) created, containing files - suitably renamed; but, as the error message states, no folder created for the primary location.

Hopefully I am doing something stupid which can be pointed out to me, as this is usually the quickest way my computer related problems get resolved!

Anthony.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 01:19:12 PM by AnthonyRalph » Logged
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2006, 05:58:03 PM »

I tried the update for the first time today and it worked fine.  Much quicker than before.  I always use a reader.

Grin  of course I'm using Nikon and on a Mac

sorry... couldn't help myself.... slap-slap.

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2006, 06:21:39 PM »

Good to hear, Mike...

Early this morning I posted the latest beta, which fixed a few bugs in the last one. Everyone on my mailing list was notified. If anyone isn't on the list, you can go to the ImageIngester web site and enter your email address as though you were going to download. No need to actually download unless you want to.

Or, if you send email to me, I'll just add you to the list.

--Marc

SChytil

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2006, 08:41:30 PM »

Has anybody (apart from me) had any difficulty with completing an ingest with this version? ... all ingests end with an error message being displayed stating that the program has  not been able to create 'the folder' .

I certainly did. I had one machine where only one drive would report the error. On my other machine every drive did the same thing.

The latest beta 1.6.4B4W fixes the problem, at least for me and one other person.  This was only a Windows problem from what Marc said.

Scott
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: