The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 02:22:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Web backup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Web backup  (Read 2932 times)
dkabat

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2006, 10:59:13 AM »

Is anyone using WEB based backups.  I do use for my business http://www.backuphelp.com/ and it works rather well. Have just heard of a another vendor called Carbonite http://www.carbonite.com/aff/lp3.aspx?sourcetag=AFF:1022.  The price is really right!.  Just wondering if anyone has had any other experiences.

Thanks
Dan
Rick McCleary

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 04:30:45 PM »

It doesn't seem practical to be sending Gb's of data over an internet hook-up.  Even a T1 line would be slow (relative to a fast local SATA drive), and who among us has a T1 line?
wombat2010

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2006, 11:16:25 AM »

Dan,

I have been looking into web storage, too, and I am about to sign up with Streamload Mediamax (http://mediamax.streamload.com/).  It gets good marks from users and reviewers, and the price is great.  I also like being charged for what you download, not how much you store--if you have a disaster, you are happy to pay to retrieve everything.  You can store an unlimited amount and pay a monthly or yearly price for X gigabytes of downloading per month and a higher total per year.  You can use several months' worth in a single month if you need to as well.  I am thinking about the premium plan, which allows 25 GB of downloads per month or 250 GB per year for $9.95 per month if paid annually.  I think it was $99.95 per year if paid annually until very recently--they must have upped their prices. Grrrr....

As for the speed of uploading, it will take time, but I think it is worth it for the piece of mind. I will probably start with only recent working files, which are not on DVDs because they change daily--otherwise these files would not be stored offsite in any form.  My archive files are put on DVDs that I keep at family members' houses or at my office (or both), in addition to an external drive at home and a Linux server at home.

Also, this week I am getting Verizon Fios internet service at home (Maryland), which will make uploading a much faster process--faster than T1.  The package I am getting is 15 Mb/s downstream and 2 Mb/s upstream, and all of the user reports I have seen say that actual tested speeds (from online speed testing sites) are at or even slightly above the advertised speed 99% of the time.  So it may be only 3-4 times faster than cable's advertised speed, but in practice it will probably be more like 5-6 times faster, especially during peak hours.  That's fast.  Of course, in Japan I hear they have had 100 Mb/s service for three years and are starting to roll out gigabit service. The US is a tad bigger.

Once I have tried out Streamload, I will post my thoughts about the service here.  Online backup (and storage generally) is the wave of the future, if the infrastructure can just keep up.  Laying fiber optic cable is inevitable but slow and costly.

Stephen
IKON

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 10:09:42 PM »

I'm interested in this subject too.  I checked out Photo Shelter and the whole concept seems like a fantastic idea but the cost seemed prohibitive.  Also, as mentioned, download and upload speeds are probably an issue.  If anyone can share any experiences with these kinds of systems I'd appreciate. I stumbled across a link to one of these systems while in Bridge, under tools I think it was.

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 02:54:10 AM »

Keep in mind several issues:

There will be no guarantees.  It's just not affordable.  So if the upload goes awry, or the data gets lost or corrupted, or the company goes belly up, you have no recourse.

Any company that offers an expensive service for free has got some kind of catch.  Either they have a bad business plan, or some other plan in the works.  Storage media has gotten very cheap, but it's not free.  And they will need to keep multiple backups.  How can someone afford to keep redundant backups of terabytes of data for $5/month?  We have some missing information here...

You'll have to decide if you can live with upload times, depending on what format and how much you shoot.

In most cases, it will be more cost-effective to buy additional media and do it yourself. If you are constantly traveling, or cna't figure out a way to do a regular offsite, then these options would be more attractive.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: