Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
memory used by iview media pro
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 11, 2020, 05:18:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2904 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  memory used by iview media pro
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: memory used by iview media pro  (Read 6160 times)
Yvonne Muller

View Profile Email
« on: June 17, 2006, 12:00:12 PM »

Hi you all,

I'm new here.  I've been a photographer for only a few years, a painter much longer.  I've lost control of my huge pile of images and now I'm learning DAM.  I'm looking forward to perusing the DAM forum.  I have one question right now, though.

A friend, a retired electrical engineer, is helping me select a laptop.  He has asked me how much memory I need.  I've figured out how much PSCS & Bridge take, more or less, but haven't an idea about iview media pro 3.  I'm just in the process of learning...I haven't even installed it yet.  Can anyone tell me how much memory to add to my bottom line for iview media pro 3?  Thanks in advance. 

Alternately, if anyone would let me know which laptop(s) you've had success with, I'd be very appreciative.  This is clearly something that I'll grow into.  Quickly.

Regards, Yvonne
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 02:48:40 PM »

Yvonne

iView's memory requirements are insignificant compared with Photoshop. Go for at least 1Gb preferably 2.

John
pvonk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 03:00:46 PM »

I agree, 1 GB is minimal, especially if the computer is an economy model in which video doesn't have its own RAM (it's shared).

- Pierre
Yvonne Muller

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 04:36:18 PM »

Thanks so much Pierre and John.  That's what I needed to hear.
Yvonne
veit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 10:04:20 PM »

I agree with the 1GB of memory and 2GB if you can afford it.  In addition, try to get one with a 7200 rpm disk, since PS is very hard-drive intensive.  If you are looking for a desktop replacement notebook, it's more likely you will find some that offer 7200 rpm disks.  Toshiba and Alienware (now owned by Dell) also offer RAIDs, so you could have a RAID 0 setup to improve hard drive speeds.  On the downside, these notebooks are heavy.
If portability is an issue, I can recommend the new DELL Inspiron E1505, which I personnally own.  A combination of 2GB of RAM, Intel Core Duo processor, excellent LCD and a 100GB 7200 rpm disk cost ~$1500.  It weighs only a bit more than 6 pounds, so it's portable.  I'd recommend to stay from the ultra-portables.  While they are very light, they typically use slower disks and slower processors, which will be a big problem when using Photoshop.
piratejabez

tanuki86
View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 12:08:42 AM »

Yvonne-
I have heard that it's best to get as much memory as you can afford right now (like the others are saying, 1-2gb).  I currently operate on a 1.5ghz Apple PowerBook, and even with only 512mb of ram, after two years the machine and its performance have been consistenly exceptional (just a tad slow with photoshop cs; iview is fast but slows as the catalog size grows past a few hundred mb).

hope that helps,
Cory
coryschoolland.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: