Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Potential ImageIngester Features
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2020, 08:15:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  ImageIngester and ImageVerifier
| | |-+  Potential ImageIngester Features
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Potential ImageIngester Features  (Read 9283 times)
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 09, 2006, 02:42:33 PM »

I've added a new page on the ImageIngester web site (http://basepath.com/ImageIngester/plans.php) that lists potential features that might be added. Some of these are definitely going to be added, fairly soon, and others will never be added, because they're either of low priority or just plain bad ideas. Others are good ideas, but will be done later either because I'm busy on other stuff or because they need more thought. My intent is to list anything that's been suggested.

I'm especially interested in feedback on the first four potential features, numbered PF-001 through PF-004, as I'm planning to put those in during the next two weeks or so. But I'm also interested in new suggestions and in comments about any of the features listed.

You can send email directly to me (email link is on the web site) or just post right here under this topic.

Thanks!

--Marc

g

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 07:32:26 AM »

Hi Marc,

Although I would admit to not perhaps being in the target user just yet, with regard to the number of images per day but slowly getting there, I would again stick a vote in for 'PF-017: Operate on Arbitrary Folders' for a couple of reasons.

• when ever i am away taking photos i tend to copy them on to DVD to free up my memory cards, with the summer here this likely to happen more often.  I suppose i could just install a copy of image ingester on whatever computer i have access to at the time but i don't really like installing software on other peoples machines.
  • having just finished my course I'll be under less pressure to take images and have a little more free time to sort out the mess that is all the images i have taken before i came across peter's book.

Just my thoughts for what its worth.  Keep up the good work.

g

ps maybe something for way, way, way down the bottom of the list, the ability to resize the imageIngester window.
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 05:29:05 PM »

For g:

Actually, there's no problem now running ImageIngester against a CD, DVD, hard drive, USB drive, or whatever, as long as the DCIM folder and whatever is below it is present. I do that all the time for testing.

So, if you copy the whole card to a DVD, you can ingest later when you get a chance.

--Marc

g

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 10:57:52 AM »

Marc,

Excellent. Just tried that out and it works great.  Was even able to sort out some old files that I had lying about the place. 

One thing I did notice, II seems to use the date modified rather than the date file created. Had a look on your website and noticed that this seems to be the intention.  Any possibility to be able to choose between date created and date modified?

g
bcf

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 02:32:53 PM »

The features which I would most welcome are:
- PF-004 (Sequence-Range Folder Names):
to be able to name the subfolders with a "significant" name, as described in The DAM Book.

- PF-011 (Free-Form File Naming):
or at least, to be able to place or not a "_" character between items in the name. Currently, the "_" seems to be mandatory. The problem is that my Olympus E-1 raw file names all begin with "_" already (denoting the use of Adobe RGB 1998 as the color space tag). Thus, when trying to rename the files as described in The DAM Book, I end up with a double "__" in the names. Not too important, but annoying nonetheless... Smiley

-- Bernard

-- Bernard
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 11:00:17 PM »

g:

I'll check into the date... actually, date created makes more sense. Perhaps I can simply make this change. Or, maybe I am missing something. Need to think it through.

bcf:

PF-004 is definite. The UI is done, and I only have a few hours of work left. Hope to have a beta ready on the Mac this week. PF-011 is a ways off, but maybe it makes sense in the interim not to add a "_" when there is one already there? I will think about this as a simple change, not requiring any UI changes.

--Marc

bcf

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 11:20:46 PM »

k. PF-011 is a ways off, but maybe it makes sense in the interim not to add a "_" when there is one already there? I will think about this as a simple change, not requiring any UI changes.

Yes, that would be a nice improvement and solve the problem: I don't see any circumstance where two successive "_" would be of use.

Thanks!

-- Bernard

-- Bernard
Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 07:51:30 PM »

Bernard--

Your double-underscore feature is in the new beta of 1.5.0. See the separate topic I just posted a few minutes ago.

--Marc

Riis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 01:57:10 PM »

The only feature i really need, but need much is when renaming having the ability to add the original name to the metadata. if i have overlooked the feature im sorry. This would make me able to use the renaming inside II. Also you should consider opening op for donations Wink
This is just the program i have been looking for, and with the features your about to make way more than i could wish for.
Keep up the good work, its really nice!

/Lasse -Riis
bcf

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 03:09:49 PM »

Bernard--

Your double-underscore feature is in the new beta of 1.5.0. See the separate topic I just posted a few minutes ago.

--Marc

Works very well. Thanks!

-- Bernard

-- Bernard
Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 05:31:05 PM »

RE: PF-011...  one nice thing about freeform naming is that it would enable us to pick and choose exactly how to rename files.  For example, I like the idea of a 'YYMM' in the filename, but I don't need the 'DD' part.  Using the 'file-name numbers' ensures that I have a unique number.  Therefore, my images would be labeled 0608_4567.NEF  This will allow my filenames to stay in sequence yet have a unique number from job to job.  When the camera 'rolls-over' the numbering back to 0001, the YYMM part of the filename will keep the correct sequence.  See what I mean? 

The reason I want to do this,  is because in Bridge, if the filename is too long for the thumbnail view, it shortens it and makes it difficult to read.  With a shorter filename, this wouldn't happen as much.

Marc Rochkind

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 10:45:52 PM »

Free-form naming is indeed going to come... it's the only way to deal with the myriad of ways people want to name their images.

--Marc

Mike Guilbault

mike.guilbault
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 06:03:41 PM »

Thanks Marc!!!  Cheesy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: