The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 03:52:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Carbon Copy settings for making back up bootable copies of HDs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Carbon Copy settings for making back up bootable copies of HDs  (Read 2454 times)
bslanger

View Profile Email
« on: May 10, 2006, 04:23:40 PM »

Quick question.....I am looking at the settings for Carbon Copy cloner, and am wondering about a couple of them.  I need to make copies of my HDs (Laptop, G5, Mac Mini).
I assume 'repair permissions before cloning' is a good idea.  And 'make bootable' I guess would be a duh.  What about create a disk image on target?  Is that one required or not?
I have one drive with three partitions, so I would think I don't need a disk image on it if I have checked the 'make bootable' box.  I'm not even sure what a disk image is yet,
as new Mac user.  Last one, the 'synchronize source to target'....what might that be?   
-eric-

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 05:22:26 PM »

"Synchronize Source to Target" utilizes Psync...as CCC was also designed to be a front end to this little utility (if desired). Essentially what happens is only new or modified data will get "cloned", instead of a lengthy re-cloning of the whole volume. Think of it as an incremental backup! If you want to use this feature, do a regular clone first. Then switch on the Synchronize Source to target option. You'll run into problems if you don't do that initial clone first.

We'll use the "create disk image on target" when we're backing up client HD's. We have one big server volume on our RAID and don't want to "clone" the drives necessarily. That would erase everything on our target drive! If you create a disk image on the target, it creates a mountable disk image (either compressed or not) that can be used to restore your drive. By itself it is not bootable. So odds are you won't need to invoke this option.

Hope this helps.

Eric Bullock
Mac Business Solutions

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 08:56:49 PM »

Eric,
Thanks for the clarification.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »