Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
4 Drives in G4 for Server Purpose....is heat an issue?
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 07:06:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  4 Drives in G4 for Server Purpose....is heat an issue?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 4 Drives in G4 for Server Purpose....is heat an issue?  (Read 3846 times)
djbetterly

View Profile Email
« on: April 13, 2006, 03:59:00 AM »

I know heat is always an issue!  A buddy of mine recently filled his G4 Dual 1GhZ with the maximum number of drives which I believe is 4.  The computer fans seem to be running none stop, is that going to be an issue, he asked me and it didn't seem right, but I guess with that number of drives there has to be some major heat.  Is there any mod's that can be done to either make it quieter?  Or, anything for better cooling?  Have others experienced this and how have they delt with it?
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 02:07:07 PM »

Your suspicion is correct: this is not the ideal situation.  Heat is a problem, as is the taxing of the power supply.

If he can replace multiple drives with a fewer larger drives, this will help.  If not, I would suggest an external enclosure.
Peter
-eric-

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 05:13:50 PM »

I generally don't suggest more than three drives in the old G4 cases. Besides the heat issue, the power supply just can't cope with all those drives spinning in there. I'd say go with an external box like the Weibetech Tray Dock.

Eric Bullock
Mac Business Solutions
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: