Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Archival DVDs and CDs
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 07:36:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  Archival DVDs and CDs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Archival DVDs and CDs  (Read 5138 times)
ElsieHull

View Profile Email
« on: May 01, 2006, 11:19:12 AM »

Some one just told me that most DVDs and CDs are only last a couple of years.  Can anyone suggest to me what brand of DVDs to get for my back up and where.  Many thanks,  Elsie
wombat2010

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 11:33:32 AM »

Elsie,

See my post in this thread (fourth post down): http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=346.0

I hope that helps.  I would not rely on DVDs alone, both for longevity and for the reasons Peter discusses in his book (basically, don't keep all your eggs in one basket and use different media types).  I use an external HDD, a HDD on a server (running Linux--unlikely to get hacked/virus on two platforms simultaneously) and DVD.  My only offsite protection, at the moment, is taking DVDs to work or mailing DVDs to tolerant family members.  I'm still exploring offsite FTP (and waiting for Verizon to turn on the FIOS service in my neighborhood).

That's probably more than you wanted--sometimes I just can't stop my fingers from typing.

Stephen
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 11:38:10 AM »

Elsie,
Delkin Gold, MAM-A Gold, Maybe the new Kodak Gold.
You can buy off Amazon. they are considerably more expensive.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=nb_ss_e/002-7390750-2980066?url=search-alias%3Delectronics-aps&field-keywords=delkin+gold+dvd&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go

EP Levine in Boston (Cameras.com) also announced they had them at a program I did last week.

Peter
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 12:44:00 PM »

Here's a post I made on the Editorial Photo Forum:

I'm skeptical of these 100 year plus claims. Both Delkin and Mam-A cite tests that show their respective media will last 100 years. But neither site mentions who conducted the tests, and whether they were impartial parties or not (if anyone can find info on who conducted their tests, I'd appreciate hearing about it).

Here's a poll taken at CDfreaks.com, which shows that users there prefer Taiyo Yuden media by a wide margin. That site has an insane amount of info about optical media; they're not kidding when they use the term "freaks".

I've been buying Taiyo Yuden from Supermediastore for over a year now, and have had good results (watch out for counterfeit brand name discs). I always verify my burns (with Toast) and avoid burning at the highest speed. I avoid writing on the disc (only the center part) and store the discs in DVD cases; not sleeves or CD cases (some say that DVD cases are safer than jewel cases and sleeves). I use slim DVD cases that hold two discs.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:46:25 PM by jimtron » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 08:32:12 PM »

Jim,
I, too, am skeptical of 100 year claims.  However, for the 2-5 years that my DVDs will be an important component of backup, I think springing for the extra few dollars is worth it.

Lots of voodoo here, but you can at least improve your odds.

Thanks for your info.
Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: