Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Conversion stage for DNG
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 15, 2021, 11:48:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  DNG
| | |-+  Conversion stage for DNG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Conversion stage for DNG  (Read 4883 times)
cmaughan

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »

I'm just finishing up reading the book.  I was wondering why the conversion step to DNG is done late in the process, instead of after dowloading and backing up the cards?

Is the only reason that the regeneration of the jpeg previews in the DNG is too time consuming?  How does this work in practice - is it really slow to edit a bunch of DNG's in Bridge?
dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 01:11:54 PM »

Hello cmaughan

The files from the cards will not contain Camera Raw adjustments. One of the uses of DNG from a DAM perspective is that the DNG files contain a "pretty good print" which can be used for web galleries, proofs, etc, hence the reason for the conversion being done late in the process.

If you choose to edit a bunch of DNG's the embedded preview will have to be updated to reflect your edits. This process will obviously take some time. 

Regards Dexter...
cmaughan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:49:28 AM »

If you choose to edit a bunch of DNG's the embedded preview will have to be updated to reflect your edits. This process will obviously take some time. 

That's my question - I assume Bridge will do this automatically?  Is it a slow process, or could I live with the conversion being done every time I adjust the RAW.

Cheers,

Chris.
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 03:03:41 AM »

Chris,
It's pretty hard for us to say what *you* can live with.  Why don't you give it a try and see what you think.
Peter
dexter

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 03:37:42 AM »

That's my question - I assume Bridge will do this automatically?

Chris,
       Only if you have the preference "Update embedded preview" checked. Like Peter said, try it and decide which workflow is better for you.

Dexter

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: