The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 08:22:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Workflow Discussions
| |-+  Wedding Workflow
| | |-+  jpgs converted from iveiw do not ftp to mini lab or to pictage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: jpgs converted from iveiw do not ftp to mini lab or to pictage  (Read 8104 times)
bslanger

View Profile Email
« on: May 05, 2006, 09:05:29 AM »

Hmmm. Having a continued problem with the jpgs that are created from iView from the DNGs.  I follow the workflow of taking the RAW files through folders 1-4, ie (Rename and Metadata, Rank and Adjust, Ready for DNG, Converted to DNG), I drop the newly converted DNGs onto the Archive drive, put this folder in the Master Iview catalog, sort the files into catalog subsets for Pictage (ie.Getting Ready,
Formals, etc.) then I convert the DNGs under Iview to make jpgs for upload.  The jpgs look fine, and open fine in CS2, but when I go to upload these jpgs to either a mini lab, or to Pictage,
all heck breadks loose, and I loose several days worth of time trying to re-load the images.  Here's what happens in the uploads: the transfer will abort after any where from 20 to about 200 of the files.  I can't restart the upload.  Error messages vary from simply 'transfer was aborted', 'transfer was terminated by host', or it just plain freezes.  I use Cute Ftp, or even Pictages D.E.C. java program,
and still it stops, freezes, terminates.  It's quite a nightmare, as I have to have Pictage re-set the entire upload from their end, which can take days.  I was using both Mac and PC, and thought that may have something to do with it, and am now all Mac, but still the same problem.  Possibilities might be checking the embed annotations under the iview settings.  Might that cause some kind
of extra data associated with the JPG that the ftp can't handle?  I am going to try just making a batch process of jpgs from the actual DNGs using CS2, thereby bypassing iview all together for the jpg creation, and see if the files upload them.  This is really frustrating, as the problem does not seem to ever be consistent, and of course, these are weddings, so the time delays are very critical.
Any ideas are welcome.  If creating the jpgs from CS2 actions works on the upload, then it will be a work around, but much slower. 
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 04:15:50 PM »

Brian,
This is puzzling.  Does your FTP program show every file to be uploaded?  Are any strange files part of the mix?

I have asked Phil at iView if he knows anything about this.

Did you post on the iView forum?
Peter
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 07:34:20 PM »

I can try posting on the iview forum.  Still no resolution on it.  At one point there were 3 extra 'invisible' files for each authentic file, and these files would show in the ftp logs, but not in the regular view of the folder on the desktop.  And then another time it was just one extra invisible file for each authentic file.  I do always get a .ds_store file though, and that does seem to be consistent.  Sometimes the files seem to upload with no problems, but that is on the rare side.  I am implementing lot's of new workflow things, and switchg to the Mac, so it's possible there is something happening under the radar in the mix, but it does seem pretty straight forward to convert the files in ivew.  I did just get a new Mac Ftp program, Transmit, that was written just for OSX, so I will try that this week. 
Phil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 02:25:45 AM »

Hi,

my guess would be that an FTP utility written for OS X will solve the problem.  The .ds_store file is a Mac OS X thing, it stores the layout information for the folder that it is in.  You shouldn't need to see any file that begins with a '.' and you wouldn't really ever need to upload them via ftp.  Your FTP client should be trying to upload the same files that you see when you open a folder using the OS.

So let us know how Trasmit helps, I use Fetch myself.  Regards, Phil
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 05:33:46 AM »

Phil,
Thanks fort he reply.  Do you know what the additional files he was getting with the earlier iView conversions were?

http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=547.0

He was getting invisible files with similar names to the JPEGs that iView created.
Peter
Phil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 06:47:27 AM »

I hadn't seen that other post.

Mac files on a non-Mac format drive each have a corresponding ._(same filename) file.  This takes the place of the resource fork that is always there on a Mac format drive.  Nothing here is unique to MediaPro, it's normal Mac OS stuff that you shouldn't need to worry about.  Maybe Brian can tell us what format the drive these files are stored on is?

The point is you don't need to know about them and should normally not see them.  Any application that shows them is either a low level specialized tool, not written for OS X or has the wrong preferences set.

That's why I'd suggest using some other FTP tool.

Unnecessary, long winded example follows.  So if I have a folder on a Mac format drive with one Jpeg in it and look at it in the finder I will see that Jpeg (say myimage.jpg).  If I look at that folder using terminal with the ls -a command I will see myimage.jpg and probably see the .DS_Store.  Move the same folder to a FAT format drive and using the Mac OS I will still only see myimage.jpg, using ls -a I will probably see .DS_Store and ._myimage.jpg.

Does that make sense?
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 04:39:28 PM »

Ah hah, that made sense, and much thanks!  As I told Peter, I had been having two systems going, both Mac and PC, and I did suspect that it had something to do with the formating of the drives.
I was using a little G-Tech FW800 60 gig drive to transfer files between PC and Mac.  I'm almost PC free now, thank goodness, although the Mac seems just about as buggy as the PC, so I am going to try a 100% Mac workflow on this last wedding, and with an FTP program written for OSX, and we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping that it works fine.    Thanks again for the info.. That had been bugging me. 
bslanger

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 02:22:48 PM »

Ok, I did an 'all Mac' wedding workflow, including using Transmit FTP (written for OSX).  The result? Not a single hitch.  Files uploaded to the lab with no garbage files, and no break in the FTP.  files uploaded to Pictage with not a single problem.  Wow, how nice.  Now, I'm still straightening out the nightmare of the previous wedding sent to Pictage.  Today was the tenth call to them, along with e-mails.  Train wreck on that one.   Thanks for the help. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: