Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/content/60/9972860/html/smf/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
DNG Conversion Performance
The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2020, 12:58:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28033 Posts in 5147 Topics by 2903 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  DNG
| | |-+  DNG Conversion Performance
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DNG Conversion Performance  (Read 3421 times)
lg

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2006, 11:50:34 AM »

I was curious to hear from anyone who uses the Adobe DNG Converter software regulary ...

What kind of performance do you get from this app (in terms of seconds it takes to convert RAW->DNG on average)?

I've found that it runs very slow (vs my expectations) on my resonably fast PC:
- Windows XP
- P4 3.6 GHz
- 1.5 GB RAM
- 10K RPM WD Raptor hard drive

I have a Canon 20D (8MP camera) and use the following DNG conversion options:
- JPEG Preview: Full size
- Compressed (lossless)
- Preserve Raw image
- Don't embed original

On average, it takes about 10 seconds/file to convert to DNG!

I also ran the DNG converter on a Mac Mini (1.42 GHz, 512 MB RAM, internal hard drive) and got about 9 seconds/file (w/ JPEG Full size preview).

Is the Windows version of this app seriously crippled or something? It runs faster on an under-powered Mac!

Can anyone with a similar camera (8MP) comment on how long their DNG conversion takes with the Full size JPEG preview?
ianw

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 02:51:21 PM »

lg,

Very non-scientific test results!

Olympus E1 5mp ORF files:
29 converted in 5 minutes with full preview (~10.4 secs / image);  81 converted with no preview (~3.7 secs / image)

Olympus E500 8mp ORF files:
20 converted in 5 minutes with full preview (~15 secs / image);  54 converted with no preview (~5.5 secs / image)

Computer is AMD 2600+ running at 2.08GHz with 1GB of memory.  Images read from one disk and written to another.

What this shows is that the RAW to JPG conversion - or is that DNG to JPG? - is where the real work is needed.  That's why when validating my DVD backups I copy them back to a scratch disk then convert to DNG with no preview, and usually overnight.

If someone wants to give me a 30mp+ camera back to test then please let me know!

Ian
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: