The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 12:02:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  General Discussion
| | |-+  Is the DAM Forum dead?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is the DAM Forum dead?  (Read 4216 times)
Arlen

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:59:23 AM »

I've been a member of this forum for 6 years. Though I haven't posted much, I learned a lot from the forum discussions and Peter's books.

For some time the forum activity has been fading away, to the point that it now seems to be drawing its last breath. Peter no longer seems to answer questions here, and hasn't posted in 7 months. I used to check in fairly often, but since there's never much new here anymore, I've become a rare visitor myself. So is everyone fully up to date on DAM issues then, with nothing left to talk about? Is the DAM Forum dead?
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »

Arlen,
Almost every day i'm looking for changes on the forum and i'm sorry there is not much going on these days.
For instance i had love to hear from Peter about MediaPro more.
Roelof
Sigi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 05:23:37 AM »

Arlen, Roelof

I agree with both of you

Sigi
djaef

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 05:35:43 AM »

I would perhaps ask if DAM is dead? Lightroom seems to have taken over the world, and from what I've read good digital asset management principles don't have much place anymore. Take Scott Kelby's latest book on LR4. Awful..

Peter seems to be doing a lot of Lightroom seminars. Perhaps he needs to write a Lightroom book that takes all his DAM knowledge and puts it into a Lightroom context.

Media Pro doesn't seem to be setting the world on fire. I don't see any new players. Looks like Lightroom's it. Or just doing it manually through Bridge...

In any case, I think we should pay our respects and move on. I can't see this forum being revived. Peter?

Geoff
BeckyMalaria

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 08:46:47 AM »

I agree with all. I check back here often and wish there were more updates. I don't think DAM is dead, but the forum seems to be. Seems like when new questions get asked the person is most often left hanging (unless Roelef weighs in, thanks Roelef!)

Our Expression Media system is creaking along at work and I've been trying, and discarding, various alternates (cross out Photo Supreme, trying a demo of Neofinder today.)  It would be really nice to hear what Peter thinks today of Media Pro, or the other options out there.

-Becky
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 03:21:58 PM »

It would be really nice to hear what Peter thinks today of Media Pro, or the other options out there.
I'm very curious also
Roelof
Paul_S

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:10:21 AM »

Well if you follow the link to his Blog you will see it is all Lightroom now.  I guess follow where the gravy train goes. Wink

roberte

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:37:31 AM »

If Media Pro / Expression Media / iView is working for you then keep using it! Media Pro is still a great DAM app but has not kept pace with the market that is dominated by Lightroom. The majority of photographers want one app to process and manage their photos and videos.

With the release of Capture One 7 last year Phase One now have a competitor to Lightroom and Aperture. Capture One needs a lot of work to come close to the DAM capabilities of Media Pro, or Lightroom for that matter. Phase One have said Media Pro will continue - but an update is overdue.

-- Robert.

ashleykaryl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »

The forum does seem to be terribly quiet and I also get the impression everything is moving in the direction of Lightroom, which slightly concerns me, even as an existing user. My concern follows the recent move to a subscription model by Adobe for Photoshop and though Lightroom isn't currently included how long until that becomes the case? My entire Raw archive has been converted to DNG and I'm wondering how safe that is at this point.

Ashley

agillanders

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »

I also have concerns about the shift to LR. I don't like it's workflow for my finme art work (I do a lot one image at a time - the bulk handling stuff in LR is mostly a waste of time for me). I quite like LR for its catalog but that's about it - my ingestion / processing is centered around ACR / Bridge / PhotoShop and I archive derivatives later. I too have gone the DNG route although being a natural born pessimist I have kept all the NEF's on a backup drive too. I just haven't had to touch them in a long time but disk space is pretty cheap these days.

Alistair
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: