The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:26:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28020 Posts in 5140 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  1310 Error
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1310 Error  (Read 11461 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:30:21 AM »

One of the few persistent issues I see with iView is the 1310 error, which is a save error that shows up when the catalog size gets too big (I think the limit is 1.8 GB - it's something around that.)  The magic number is not only about the catalog size, but catalog size coupled with the size of the scratch file (the place that unsaved changes are stored.)  

So you might run into the problem with a catalog that is 1.4 GB, but which you have made a lot of changes to between saves.  To get around this issue with large catalogs, save your changes frequently, and do something to reduce the size of the catalog. as outlined below.

Reduce the catalog size by rebuilding thumbanils

1. You can make the catalog smaller by rebuilding the thumbnails at a smaller size or quality.  I start my catalogs at 640 pixels, Medium Quality, no Full-screen previews.  This lets the catalogs get to about 25,000 in size before this becomes an issue. When the catalog approached 25,000, I'll rebuild anything less than 2 stars at 640 pixels, Low quality.

If you make Full Screen previews (for a slideshow, for instance), I suggest making a catalog set that indicates which images have been built at that size, and the date.  If you need to save space at a later time, you can select these images and rebuild at a smaller size later.

You can also split the catalog.

If there is a natural dividing line  - year, for instance, or maybe you have two really distinct bodies of work mixed together, or maybe you have both Originals and Derivatives in the same catalog - then you can split the work into to catalogs.

To do the split, here are some steps.
1. Save and archive the current catalog as is.  This is something you should do any time you perform some kind of structural migration.  Rename the catalog from, say, "Originals" to "Originals_070709" so you will know the date that this represents a snapshot of your collection.

2. Open the catalog and make sure that there is a good bright dividing line to split between.  I make sure that the last bucket in one catalog does not have images in it that are referenced by another catalog. This helps in error checking to make sure everything in the archive is cataloged once and only once.

3. Save the catalog again as two separate files, say, "Originals_04-06" and "Originals_07"

4. Open the Originals_04-06 and delete all records from 2007.  Do the reverse with Originals_07

Peter
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 07:52:20 AM by peterkrogh » Logged
danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 09:04:23 AM »

Peter,

Thanks for that explanation; good to know.

If and when the time comes, I think I might like to have my catalogs divided on bucket boundaries (maybe the first bucket of a new year).  That way I would never have more than one catalog referencing a single bucket.  Does that sound right?

Or better yet, maybe the last bucket of the year would not get filled all the way so it doesn't cross a year boundary.  In otherwords, always start a new year with a new bucket and catalog.

Dan
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:07:02 AM by danaltick » Logged

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:02:23 PM »

Dan,
Yes, thanks for adding that.
Peter
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 01:03:23 PM »

Dan,
Yes, thanks for adding that.
Peter
dkperez

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 10:54:19 AM »

I wish I'd hit this earlier.............

System is E6700 with 4GB of memory, 2.5TB of storage, and XP64

Created a catalog.  Imported 2482 .dng images. 
Ran script to set the labels.
Got the -1310 error when I tried to save.

Catalog SAYS it's 1GB.

Created a new catalog and dragged all the images to the new catalog.
Saved the NEW catalog successfully.  It was 1,177,509 K on the disk.......
Closed everything and restarted iView.  It WILL NOT START WITH THAT CATALOG.

Says its got an access violation. 

Change extension on offending catalog and started iView - successfully.  Changed
extension back and told iView to open.  Starts open, displays SOME of the files, then
crashes.  Nothing written to the event log, but I get the popup to send a file to
Microsoft... 

I presume I'm going to have to recreate the catalog and go through the whole import
again, but I'm concerned that iView is so unstable that just setting a couple thousand
labels can cause this disaster...  How common in a catalog that's getting a fair amount
of activity do people run into problems with saves, and catalog failures?

David Perez
frankgindc

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 01:57:20 PM »

I think that there is a relationship to recent activity/changes in the catalog and how big it will allow you to get.   And the error seems to be such that it is not consistent.  But, in short, I have indeed "hit the 1310 wall" at just over 1G after alot of changes and what not.   If you are making smaller changes and saving incrementally, the catalog size may successfully creep up to a size approaching the stated 2gig limit.   As a result, my workaround was to save repeatedly to new versions catalogat5pm, catalogat615pm, etc. etc. after bite size changes so that if it choked at that point I wouldn't have to go all the way back to the start.

Now my workaround is to migrate over to Lightroom. iView has had this as an issue that they said (on tech bulletin boards) that they were working to fix since....I believe I saw a note about it from the fall of 2004.   I'm done with them.

But for sanity's sake, yes, the error you are getting now is probably the same 1310 error in a different wrapping.

Good luck,
Frank
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 04:24:09 AM »

David,
When you're making changes to a lot of files, you might want to use autosave.(General perferences)
Peter
arossphoto

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 08:40:14 AM »

I got this error so many times this month, and it has been driving me crazy. I finally got around to bringing all my legacy files into iView and the catalog had reached 1.8GB when it first started happening. I rebuilt all my previews and the catalog was reduced to 1.1GB, but I still could not save the catalog. I was forced to copy all images to a new catalog and then I could finally save it. However, even though the cat was now 1.1GB I would still get the error anytime I made a lot of changes. I had to copy the catalog several times and then finally split it into two and activated auto-save.

Now I have discovered another problem. I started noticing files names that had been shortened and truncated, and the original files could not been found. I did a search for missing files and found over a 1000 that had been shortened this way. I searched the web for an answer to this problem and apparently long file names will be shortened when you drag files from one catalog to another, but not when you import them. It took me forever to reset the paths, or re-import these files, and my faith in iView as been permanently damaged.

I've been testing Aperture 2 and I like what I'm seeing, so I have already started importing my images into it.

Cheers,

Andrew
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 10:31:46 AM »

Andrew,
Were the names that were shortened longer than 31 characters?

As to Aperture 2, it looks interesting.  I have a copy on my desk to install and test when I get some time. 

Is Aperture seeing your metadata?

Peter
firm01

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 03:08:21 AM »

Where can I change the size of the scratch file? I stillhope that I can rescue my catalogue somehow.

Thanks,
Ingrid
johnhoward

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:20:51 AM »

Can you have the catalog be over 1.4 Gb as long as the scratch file doesn't exceed 1 Gb?  I have run into the 1310 error a few times and the autosaving generally prevents it. I also have not found a way to resize the srcatch file.

I am a software developer and programmer specializing in business continuity for websites.
Old Toad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 04:48:36 PM »

PhaseOne, the new owner of iView Media Pro/Expression Media and now just Media Pro, has released a new version on May 10th, Media Pro, which eliminates the 128,000 or  2 GB catalog file size limitation.  It's integrated with PhaseOne's Capture One application. 

As an amateur much of the enhancements will not be critical to me but one is.  the GUI. It's the dark background type that's so popular these days.  From my point of view, i.e. older eyes, I find the contrast low and much more difficult to use. There was some discussion on the GUI in their forum and PhaseOne did say they were open to change depending on the demand, etc.

In the left hand pane of the Organize Panel individual areas, i.e. Catalog Sets, Keywords, etc., cannot be increased or decreased in size. They can only be fully open or closed.  Makes it more difficult to view portions of the Catalog Sets and Keyword areas as the same time. Takes a little getting used to.

W. Fritts
jimHere

born in the 20th Century

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »

Also, it's hard to read the caption/descriptions on the mid gray background.

-- Jim
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 04:47:47 AM »

PhaseOne, the new owner of iView Media Pro/Expression Media and now just Media Pro, has released a new version on May 10th, Media Pro, which eliminates the 128,000 or  2 GB catalog file size limitation

I found that the 128.000 limit stil is present in Media Pro...
Roelof
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: