The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 12:05:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  General
| |-+  GPS/ Geotagging
| | |-+  GPS for Canon 5D Mark II
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: GPS for Canon 5D Mark II  (Read 12039 times)
jwballard

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »

Does anyone have a suggestion for a GPS tracklog device to use with a 5d Mk II?  While shooting photos I'd like to record locations in the GPX format and then load them into Lightroom to synch with images.
Canon makes a GPS unit that works with the 5d Mk III and  7D. And the new 6D is supposed to have GPS in the camera, I think.  But Canon does not have any equipment for the 5D Mk II.  The only GPS I have used before is the type installed in cars.  I have never used a separate unit, so I don't know which will work well with a Canon camera and which I should stay away from.
John Ballard
MarcB
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 10:29:53 PM »

Cheapest option is probably to use a basic GPS logger, or your smartphone. I've used a 747A+ unit (about $60 on eBay) for years, and it works very well. You just export its track logs to GPX files, which you can then process in LR4 or a geotagging tool. And of course, it'll work with all your cameras. Just make sure to occasionally synchronise your camera's time to the correct GPS time.

Marc
jwballard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 05:39:45 PM »

Marc,
Can you give me any recommendations for a specific brand/model of GPS logger?  I am not sure what would work well.  Doesn't have to be cheap. Thx
MarcB
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 10:48:06 PM »

This is the one I've been using: http://www.amazon.com/i-Blue-Bluetooth-Data-Logger-Receiver/sim/B000NK3G2Q/2. It's out of stock at most regular stores, but can still be found on eBay for about $40 - $60 (e.g. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-i-Blue-747A-Bluetooth-GPS-Data-Logger-Receiver-Fast-Post-/220859451790?pt=Car_Audio_Video&vxp=mtr&hash=item336c3fc98e).

I just turn it on and stick it in my bag when I go out. The  battery easily lasts a couple of days (it'll stop recording when your stationary), and using the included software, or freeware BT747 (http://www.bt747.org/), you can export the track log to a GPX file for use in LR4.

Marc
jwballard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »

Marc,
That looks like a good device.  I'll try to buy one on Ebay.  Thanks very much.
Do you use Lightroom 4 with this device's data?  Any advice on what work and what doesn't?
John
MarcB
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 12:03:18 PM »

No, I'm still on LR3, so I use GeoSetter to add the GPS data to my DNG files before I import them (if you're on Mac, I'm sure there something similar you can use). My workflow:
  • Download photos from card
  • Download track from logger
  • Use GeoSetter to match GPS track to photos and write data to DNG (if you use raw, GeoSetter will create xmp files containing the GPS data)
  • Import photos in LR

Of course, if you're using LR4, your workflow will be a little different - if necessary, I'm sure there are people on the LR forums (http://www.lightroomforums.net) who can help with an LR4 workflow.

Marc
jwballard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »

Marc,
I did order the iBlue 747A of of Ebay.  I'll let you know how it works.  I do appreciate your help
John
MarcB
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »

Cool! If you need any help with the logger once it arrives, just let me know.

Marc
jwballard

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 06:33:31 AM »

Marc,
It took me a few tries ( and a couple of weeks) to figure out the quirks of the 747a, but I finally got everything to work well.  And the tracklog loads into Lightroom easily.  I had some trouble synching the time (between camera and Lightroom) but that works now.  Also, at first Google maps worked only on my desktop, and not on my laptop, but I fixed that by updating the 747a software.
Thanks again for recommending a good piece of equipment.
John
MarcB
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 06:17:32 PM »

Excellent, I'm glad to hear that, thanks for the update!

Marc
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: