The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 08:09:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  IDimager now dead software
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IDimager now dead software  (Read 3823 times)
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« on: September 18, 2012, 05:58:10 PM »

Hert posted a forum response today over on the IDimager forums that as of today, September 18, IDimager is no longer supported. No bug fixes, no RAW file upgrades/updates, nada.

So ... one less program to consider. Sadly

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:33:59 PM »

IdImager - 5 is not going to be "updated" from what it is now ... no further bug-fixes, "dot" releases, or camera's added to the list.

PhotoSupreme, the new product, is a much 'lighter' featured DAM ... yet ... due to the howls of many of the IdI base, Hert is bringing some of the capabilities of IdImager-5 up to PhoSup.

What PhoSup does, it does FAST. Importing of say, 50k files, something that would have taken a day or so with IdI-5, takes a matter of minutes for many of the users reporting on the forums there. And some of the 'lost' capabilities, enterprising individuals have found how to get PhoSup to accomplish, though in ways that Hert said would have been considered a "bug" as the  options that accomplished these things WEREN'T planned to work that way. However, as the "base" LIKES it doing X instead of the Y Hert thought it would ... he's leaving them, and there's been a couple chuckles about "bugs" becoming "features".

That said, PhoSup is a far more limited product, if vastly easier to understand and vastly faster in operation.

Things left out ... like a "file manager" capability, to move files through your computer system within PhoSup (yes, that was a conscious planned deletion of capability for some odd reason!) forcing the user to move the files outside of PhoSup, then MANUALLY re-connect them to PhoSup, have irritated enough people that Hert is not insisting that is a forever-dead capability. I 'spect it will come back at some point in PhoSup.

Also, the lack of IdI-5's "Version Detectioning Wizard" ... a wonderful capability to connect as Versions all the derivative files of an image, has received a LOT of complaints. Some of the folk trying out PhoSup have found that it's manual capabilities are actually greater that Hert thought they were, in as far as being able to accept the user's instruction that these files were to be considered versions of the same file. It's not clear to me yet how FAR that ability goes, and further ... bringing in 20 to 50 clients in a group into the program, then having to MANUALLY hunt through every client in both original and derivative folders/trees and then "connect" the found files through a series of actions ... over and over again  ... is a HUGE chore, inviting of mistakes and errors and omissions.

The last thing I'll mention, is the current inability to upload to file-sharing sites from within PhoSup. It's not something we've done much of, yet for many both pro and amateurs, this is a HUGE part of their normal workflow. IdI-5 had an extensive capability to create custom frames for your images and upload them to specific sites with specific instructions in batches. As much attention as THIS has received on the IdImager/PhoSup boards, I do suspect Hert will try to remedy this paucity and that right soon.

So ... PhoSup is a somewhat limited if blazing fast DAM program. It's getting more capability practically by the day. Will it eventually get to be a major-featured program? Certainly hope so. The interface is said to be MUCH better and easier to navigate than IdI-5, and that's good ... and I certainly wouldn't mind a program that works far faster than IdI-5 does.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
havezet

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »

There are some other issues with PhoSup, such as the lack of decent capability for uploading to 'net services, such as Flickr, SmugMug, etc. We've just started prepping to do that, so up till now that's not something that would be a big issue. For others, this was an IMMEDIATE problem ... IdImager had the tools to make custom frames for your images suited to the particular service to which you uploaded files, so it was great for those what do so. I can't imagine Hert will let this go much longer ... sales of PhoSup seem to be doing good BUT a lot of the dedicated amateurs that are (I think) the main intended clients are addicted to photo-sharing sites. That will (if not aleady) become a hot-button updating issue.

This is incorrect. Photo Supreme offers the upload features to Flickr, Facebook, Zenfolio, SmugMug, etc. Those are all there and better integrated in the application.

What they complained about was the fact that the WebPublisher is not in PSU. But in my vision, web publishing has no future as 99% are switching to photo sharing sites.

Hert

Author of IDimager
http://www.idimager.com
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »

Thank you for the clarification, Hert!

R. Neil Haugen

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com