The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 03:07:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28018 Posts in 5138 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  JBOD box for 2011 Macbook Pro
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: JBOD box for 2011 Macbook Pro  (Read 3725 times)
jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:57 PM »

I just got a 2011 MBP which I'd like to connect to my many internal 3.5" drives. Currently I have an aging Mac Pro which I'm selling. I've got drives inside that, as well as a bunch of 1TB and 3TB bare drives that I access via FW800 docks.

The MBP has Thunderbolt, USB 2, and FW800 ports. I understand that Tbolt is much, much faster than FW, but the Tbolt enclosures (4 bay or bigger) are very expensive. There are lots of eSATA enclosures out there that are much less expensive, and I understand eSATA is also much faster than FW. I found this Lacie Tbolt/eSATA hub, but it looks like it doesn't work with 4 bay JBOD enclosures.

Anyone know if there's an eSATA 4 or 8-bay JBOD enclosure that will work with the MBP, and utilizing the Tbolt port? I've been doing a lot of Googling and not finding the answer.

Thanks,

Jim

jakobox

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »

Hey Jim,

It's a bit of a shame that things have been so quite around here. I came with more or less the same question. It seems that there are TONS of raid solutions out there. Not so many JBOD. Based on my read of the DAM book years ago, I have been working on JBODs for several years... but just the lack of available hardware is leading me to think that I might need to switch my approach Sad

Having said that, I did find ONE solution. OWC makes a rack system that can be mounted JBOD with esata.

I don't find the rack system too appealing, but it is one option.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=819990&Q=&is=REG&A=details

jimtron

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 02:46:27 PM »

I've given up on Thunderbolt for now--there's not much out there yet, and what is available is expensive. I did find a good FW, 4 bay JBOD enclosure though: http://www.buy.com/prod/datatale-smart-raid-4-bay-firewire-800-esata-usb-enclosure/220268913.html?listingId=136650692  (might be able to find it cheaper on ebay). It works well, except when daisy-chained with other FW drives.

Sossity Corby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:55:14 PM »

I too, have been dealing with this issue with my 2011 mac mini, has thunderbolt & firewire, I found a way to use JOBD with the the laCie esata thunderbolt hub, it took some tinkering, & the enclosure I have been using is just a 2 bay, it is a Firmtek Seritek 2EN2, it works with the lacie hub. I have it all connected via a thunderbolt cable to my mac mini.The seritek so far has worked, and they sell extra power supplies and other accessories. It is hot swappable, with metal basket like trays that can be removed, and hard drives swapped in and out.

There is a website called barefeets reveiw, where the lacie esata hub is reviewed, and there is a list of conformed enclosures that work with the hub, most are RAID enclosures, but the seritek I have allows one to use it as JBOD.

Hope this is some help
Sossity
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: