The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 07:09:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Useful Stuff
| |-+  DAM Useful CS3 Beta Products
| | |-+  RapidFixer CS3 b1 release notes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: RapidFixer CS3 b1 release notes  (Read 12144 times)
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« on: December 17, 2006, 10:24:10 PM »

We will start sending out RapidFixer CS3 beta1 Monday December 18th.  Release notes as follows.

Cautions

Both Adobe Photoshop CS3 and RapidFixer CS3 are beta software and should be used with caution.  I suggest that all users install CS3 on a duplicate boot drive as outlined here:

http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?topic=1451.0

Additionally, I suggest that you work only on duplicate files. You might wish to archive copies of the original files for a considerable period of time.  DAM Useful will not assume any liability in the event of loss or damage to any files or software.

Known Issues

There are no known issues with RapidFixer CS3 beta.  Everything seems to work exactly as the original RapidFixer does, with the addition of controls that are appicable to Camera Raw 4 only.

We have found in limited testing that Bridge is somewhat unstable and sluggish with large folders of images.  For this reason, we suggest working on folders of images that are no larger than 300 pictures.

Who is eligible for testing

RapidFixer CS3 is available for free to any purchaser of RapidFixer.  We will not be sending it out in beta form to all purchasers, because it is in beta form, and is likely to change over the next several months.  Once it has been finalized, we will send a release copy to every purchaser.

If you'd like to test RapidFixer, you need to be a purchaser of the original version.  If you would like a copy of RapidFixer CS3 to test, please email alyson at peterkrogh.com to get a copy.

Scope of testing

First, we are interested in making sure there are no functional issues with RapidFixer.  Please report any instances of the software not working as expected.  All reporting can be done in this forum.

Additionally, we are intersted in extending the functionality of the software to leverage the tools in Adobe Camera Raw 4.  Because ACR4 has so many more controls, we will not be able to get everything into the limited button space that the Bridge Navbars provide.  Currently, a sampling of these controls exist.  If there are any other controls that you think would be particularly useful in the proofing stage, please post requests here.

We are also interested in any feedback on the values of the RapidFixer buttons.  If you think the changes are either too large, or too small, post discussions here.

Thanks for your support.

Peter and Tom

danaltick

evaa-xdtb@spamex.com danaltick
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 02:49:55 PM »

Peter,

I haven't been able to use RapidFixer effectively under Bridge CS3.  I believe it's because CS3 Bridge doesn't always (or rather hardly ever) updates the thumbnails for me under Windows even when editing Raw files in ACR4.  I have to purge the cache to get the thumbnails to update.  The Bridge preview updates but the thumbnails don't.  Also, the only way I can get the cache to export is to build the cache for the folder and tell CS3 to export it by checking the box on the Build dialog.  Apparently Bridge CS3 keeps the cache files internally now and doesn't provide an option to create them externally except when manually buidling the cache for subfolders.  Bridge CS3 does appear to be somewhat flaky for me under Windows as well as sluggish at times.  I do like ACR4 though.  It has really spoiled me.  Hard to go back to ACR3, but I certainly can't afford to get bogged down debugging beta code.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:51:06 PM »

Dan,
Do you have your preferences set to generate high-quality thumbnails?
Really, CS3 beta is most appropriate for the MacIntel user.  I certainly understand the reluctance to spend time chasing down bugs.
Peter
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 08:41:59 PM »

Peter,

I've tried it with both quick thumbnails and high res thumbnails.  I believe the root of this problem is Bridge though not RapidFixer.  Given this, my game plan will be to stick with Bridge CS2 for the workflow and use ACR4 for my derivatives, similar to the way we would use LR's develop module for derivatives, but with the advantage of being able to update the DNG's in the archive with the new ACR4 settings.

I realize the main impetus of CS3 was for Mac performance; however, it does have some nice new features such as 'Quick Selections with Refine Edges", "Smart Filters", and improved UI that I want to get use to using during the beta period.

Dan

WindowsXP, ImageIngester Pro, RapidFixer, IVMP 3, ACR4, Photoshop CS4, Controlled Keyword Catalog, Canon EOS50D
danaltick

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 09:27:08 PM »

Peter,

Adobe released an update to CS3 Bridge a few days ago that works with RapidFixer and updates the thumbnails properly under Windows http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/.  I really like the new Bridge.  It's got a lot of nice new features such as better filtering which eliminates the need to create a collection filter for showing both the Stars and Labels.  The multi-preview window is nice too for image comparisons.  A much better Bridge for sure.  One problem I did notice though with RapidFixer; after clicking a RapidFixer adjustment button in Filmstrip mode, I can no long arrow through the images.  I have to first click on the main image window then back on the thumbnail to get the arrow keys to work again.  The last adjustment button pressed remains active and doesn't allow you to click back on the thumbnail afterwards.

Oh, the update also fixed the problems with R&F Lite.  Looks like I'm going to be able to use the new Bridge afterall.  Things are looking good so far.  I'll let you know if I encounter any more problems.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 09:32:03 PM by danaltick » Logged

peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 07:27:04 AM »

Thanks Dan, I'll check the focus issue after button push (for those that don't know, Focus is the s/w term for what the program is paying attention to).

Nice to see it coming together.
Peter

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: