The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 08:16:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28020 Posts in 5140 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  Mac and windows apps that can do incremntal backups accurately
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mac and windows apps that can do incremntal backups accurately  (Read 1738 times)
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2012, 09:32:34 PM »

I have 2 alternating external hard drives, in which I have one at home (drive A) & one offsite (drive B), I bring the offsite one home to backup the newer drive A contents to, so far I have used disk utility, on a mac & just copy the whole of hard drive A to hard drive B in an overnight backup, but these backups will take longer as I get more content.

Is there a mac app or windows app that can tell the new files on the home drive A & copy just the new files to the offsite backup drive B? without me gong through disk utility or doing it by hand in finder?

any suggestions for either mac or windows, I work in both platforms. I would also like something that can copy & backup ipod content as well, like my itunes library.

Sossity
MarcB
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 11:35:17 PM »

On Windows, I use SyncBack to create incremental backups to two separate external drives. Basically, it will do a compare of the source and target directories, and only copy the changes. In addition, it can do several other types of backups (e.g. mirroring one directory to another), and has other useful functions, so I can recommend it (no, I'm in no way affiliated with the program Wink).

Marc
Sigi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 02:53:25 AM »

On the Mac side I can recommend Superduper. Also check out Carbon Copy Cloner and Chronosync
Jonathan Lipkin

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »

Chronosync will do precisely what you are asking - create a mirror of drive A onto drive B. There is a verify copy option which will add to the integrity of the backup.

I use this to sync to my image backup drive using a script that runs it every hour.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: