The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 01:53:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  which hard drive for digital generated art, derivitives or Originals
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: which hard drive for digital generated art, derivitives or Originals  (Read 946 times)
Sossity Corby

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:14:10 PM »

I know I have posted this question elswhere, but I have had no replies, & thought maybe this area might be better as it concerns which hardware or one of my hard drives that digitally generated art would go in. If no one knows what I am talking about, http://www.youtube.com/results?q=digital+art&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=np&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=w1, I have tried to post a link, to give a better idea, as this seems to be strictly a photography forum, but I think this digital asset management should be expanded to include other digital items.

I recently bought a wacom tablet, & it has been great so far, I have gone to using it in place of my mouse. I have also begun to explore digital sketching in apps like photoshop.

I am beginning to get a collection of these sketches, & would like to know where in the DAM system they fit in, would they go with my originals directory where I keep all my camera originals? or would they go into the derivatives directories? I would like to get a good system in place early, in my DAM, as my digital sketches are just as valuable to me as my paper sketches.

Sossity
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »

I would treat these works as originals as they are but it realy does not matter. You also could bring them under as derivatives, it's just a label..
If they were mine, i would build a seperate fysical structure for these files, next to my photo's (original or derivative).
Important is to take attention to the fysical structure and backup as described in the DAM book > a good hard drive (maybe in RAID) > regular backup's and take them off-site > Also make read-only backups on DVD or Blue-Ray to avoid corruption by virusses or so.
In al kind of magazines you can find tests of hard drives and before take them in production, test them for yourself.

Roelof
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: