The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 02:52:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Choosing Software/Other DAM Applications
| | |-+  LR, MediaPro, EM - which is currently recommended?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: LR, MediaPro, EM - which is currently recommended?  (Read 6802 times)
billseymour

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2012, 09:20:18 AM »

Hello all, back here visiting after a long absence.

I started with iView, eventually moved to EM2, and have not moved to Media Pro because of all the forum (Phase One) complaints about the product.
I now also see John B's new site focusing on Lightroom, and LR4 seems to be getting a good reception.

So: for a 15K-20K image database, mostly jpg and tif files, and a user (me) who is very comfortable with iView/EM2, (PC, Vista),
which DAM software is now recommended by this forum community?

- stick with EM2? Move on to MediaPro? Or is LR(4) looking like the future?

I think another consideration is my experience, as we've all had, with the lack of support and development of iView and then EM. I am just not sure that Phase One is fully supporting MediaPro either, given the barrage of issues that seem to have started from the very beginning of their taking over the product.

Any feedback is welcome, and if Peter and JohnB have some thoughts on this, that would be great.
Thanks. --Bill
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »

Now we have been through the experience of PhaseOne i'm affraid there is no future for MediaPro (Iview, Expression). I had some real good hope because of the serious reputation of PhaseOne, the good hardware they make and the fact that they are committed to photography only. But...

I considered IDimager as the most serious alternative but i'v had some negative responses on that eiter.

I think that Lightroom will gather the most DAM users the coming period. Adobe is a very solid company with enough resources for R&D and support. Now with the big price drop on LR4 the choice is easy?

Roelof
Sigi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 05:00:20 AM »

Hello Roelof,

have you ever tested Atomic View from AntZero?

Sigi
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 05:35:43 AM »

I'm a Windows user so no, Atomic View i did not test.
However, i just took a look and there is a window beta version now...
I think, i'm going to do some testing in a short time
Sigi, thanks for your feedback
Roelof
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 06:00:12 PM »

I've liked IDimager myself ... but as of today, it's dead software ... no further support. Narrows the field a bit ...

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »

Did you look into this?
IdImager was on my shortlist too... Is it not developed further anymore? (there is no entry on the website anymore).
Is the new 'Photo Supreme' (PSU) mentioned as the successor of IDI5?
http://forum.idimager.com/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=18290&sid=82ff9e4ca765c46330ef9c89f69fb2f7#p94046

We know of MediaPro that it is possible to introduce a 'successor' with less options en quality...
With these both gone only Lightroom remains?
Roelof
thelordsmurf
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:18:23 AM »

Hi everyone,

I was using IDImager but as you read now that's dead. Reading on the forums there it seems that people are none too pleased with Photo Supreme as a true DAM tool.

So, I wanted some insights from people. I'm willing to pay money for a tool that is useful, but I imagine it would need to have:

1. Hierarchical keywords

2. Automatic compatibility with XML (and IPTC I guess; which of those do Facebook and Flickr use?) for the keywords and such (and to treat the City, State, Country, Location fields as keywords too)
3. Ability to export to Facebook and Flickr
4. Ability to run searches (5 star pictures of me without person X, etc.)

I had recently been using Picasa for face recognition and then importing that data into IDI; if there is some way to do that it would be great.

Also since my current DAM is IDI, if the new DAM software can import my images and recreate a hierarchical keyword structure that would be nice but I am willing to spend the time to recreate it if it will at least import all the keywords.

I saw some hints also that Media Pro 1 fails, that Lightroom 4 fails, that digiKam fails in Windows... I don't even know if ACDSee still exists, etc. Has anyone tried Daminion? I also can't tell exactly what DAM tools Lightroom offers given that the dpreview of it does not mention it at all.

I'd really appreciate some advice on the topic.

Thanks!
Aashoo
R. Neil Haugen

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »

Photo Supreme ... which is the new product from IdImager ... and isn't quite yet "supreme" in my view ... is becoming somewhat better tooled. Due to the MANY complaints on the PhoSup and IdI forums, Hert has already brought some functionality back to PhoSup that it didn't originally have. So ... that is looking not quite so woeful as late last week.

Still, PhoSup is missing two things that my business NEEDS ... any ability to migrate files within your computer system within PhoSup and the wonderful Version Detectioning Wizard in IdImager-5 Pro.

The first ... having to go outside PhoSup to move your files with some system or other software, go back to PhoSup and do a manual re-connect is a ton of work, and simply BEGS for mistakes and lost files to result.

The second ... in a business with a TON of derivative files, and the need to track originals/multiple-derivatives ... well, it's huge for us. We've used Lr for "basic" RAW processing/tracking within the computer that each of us does our main work in, and then transfer the files to the archives system after we've delivered the client's work. In batches. So, say, twenty to fifty clients worth of work, MANY gigs total, originals and derivatives each with their own "home" ... manually connecting all of those is again, fraught with error and mislaying of files, partly due to the obvious problems ... and partly due to needing to have this done by employee-types, rather than my spending two days doing it when I NEED to be doing other 'more valuable' work.

There are some other issues with PhoSup, such as the lack of decent capability for uploading to 'net services, such as Flickr, SmugMug, etc. We've just started prepping to do that, so up till now that's not something that would be a big issue. For others, this was an IMMEDIATE problem ... IdImager had the tools to make custom frames for your images suited to the particular service to which you uploaded files, so it was great for those what do so. I can't imagine Hert will let this go much longer ... sales of PhoSup seem to be doing good BUT a lot of the dedicated amateurs that are (I think) the main intended clients are addicted to photo-sharing sites. That will (if not aleady) become a hot-button updating issue.

Past the above, those that are trying PhoSup having come from IdImager-5 Pro have commented that it can 'import' 50k images in minutes, not the couple days that IdImager would have taken. MANY of the features it does have 'occur' at near-lightning speed, so that is quite a good thing.

Neil

R Neil Haugen
MyPhotoMentor.com
rNeilPhotog.com
Haugensgalleri.com
havezet

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »

There are some other issues with PhoSup, such as the lack of decent capability for uploading to 'net services, such as Flickr, SmugMug, etc. We've just started prepping to do that, so up till now that's not something that would be a big issue. For others, this was an IMMEDIATE problem ... IdImager had the tools to make custom frames for your images suited to the particular service to which you uploaded files, so it was great for those what do so. I can't imagine Hert will let this go much longer ... sales of PhoSup seem to be doing good BUT a lot of the dedicated amateurs that are (I think) the main intended clients are addicted to photo-sharing sites. That will (if not aleady) become a hot-button updating issue.

This is incorrect. Photo Supreme offers the upload features to Flickr, Facebook, Zenfolio, SmugMug, etc. Those are all there and better integrated in the application.

What they complained about was the fact that the WebPublisher is not in PSU. But in my vision, web publishing has no future as 99% are switching to photo sharing sites.

Hert

Author of IDimager
http://www.idimager.com
Menace

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:36:27 AM »

The DAM-Software makes me sick. No solutions fits all. The one DAM-Software is in one point perfect, but looses completely in another point.

My experience.
+ that is the point, why I choose this software
- this is the point, I am leafing it.

Microsoft Expression 2 / Media Pro:
+ At least DAM-Software
- to often unstable
- the written hierarchical keywords can't be read from some other softwares (like idimager)

IDimager 5 Pro
+ can a lot
+ "Set" of hierarchical keywords
+ Export hierarchical keywords also in IPTC and Exif (I can choose if UTF-8, Ansii)!!
- no drag and drop to QuarkXpress (very important for me)
- no IPTC:codedcharacterset=utf8 was been written. If I am importing the IPTC to others software, there are mismatch and a lot of keywords are shown wrong.
- bugs AND death product

Photo Supreme
+ "Set" of hierarchical keywords
+ Export hierarchical keywords also in IPTC and Exif...
- ... but only in Ansii?
- no drag and drop to QuarkXpress (very important for me)
- no IPTC:codedcharacterset=utf8 was been written. If I am importing the IPTC to others software, there are mismatch and a lot of keywords are shown wrong.
- shiny GUI
- no multi-monitor-support

Daminion
+ can import terrible huge folders with pdf/doc/tiff/gif/jpg/.... without hanging or crushing down (the only software, which solved this yet) !!!!
+ I like the gui
+ drag & drop to QuarkXpress
+ Export hierarchical keywords also in IPTC and Exif...
- ... but only in ANSI ?
- in the development (no filemanager now, but it will come)

iMatch 3.6
+ Powerful
- an complicated
- didn't write the hierarchical keywords in IPTC/Exif; Maybe there a scripts there, but I am not a friend of scripts, sorry about that.

iMatch 5
-  :Smiley Yeah, maybe, on day..... But the amount of my images are increasing every day.

Currently I working with IDimager 5 Pro for my privat images and Daminion for my work-folders.
K.Murat

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 03:04:20 AM »

The latest Daminion 0.9.8 version is available for testing with improved File/Folder management capabilities:
http://daminion.net/user-forum/index.php?/topic/456-the-latest-daminion-builds/page__view__getnewpost

In this version the compatibility with standalone third-party photo organizers (like LR, MediaPro, IdImager) was improved: you can specify various tag hierarchy delimiters that helps you to easily migrate to Daminion. All image annotations will be automatically imported from the metadata according to IPTC/XMP/MWG/Native specifications in a range of media formats: All Camera RAW formats, raster and vector images (AI, EPS, InDD), MS Office, PDF, audio and video formats.

The next series of the file/folder management improvements are planned to the 0.9.9 version (Jan, 2013).

Daminion - a new server based photo management software.
http://daminion.net
thelordsmurf
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »

Built-in geocoding is important to me so I might hold off trying PhotoSupreme unless it gets that added on.

What are people's thoughts on Zoner Free or Pro, or Lightroom? I think having basic image editing built in would be nice as I will likely lose my ability to use Photoshop CS3 once I migrate to Win8.
I think both LR4 and Zoner do geocoding, hierarchical keywords, export to Flickr. Anyone have experience with those?

Thanks!

Aashoo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: