The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 12:10:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28016 Posts in 5137 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Naming Issues
| | |-+  Suggestion on renaming JPGs: Keeping the relationship between JPG and RAW
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Suggestion on renaming JPGs: Keeping the relationship between JPG and RAW  (Read 2937 times)
alejandroplanas

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:50:23 AM »

Hello Forum,

My first post. I am so glad that I found this Book and this forum. I clearly had a mess with my file naming structure (nonexistent) and backup procedure (Basically, I was using the "don't worry, be happy" procedure). With great luck, I found this book and was able to begin ordering my 3 year mess, prior to any tragedy. Now I have multiple backups and working to implement the full working/archive workflow and the 3-2-1 backup strategy. In future days, I will post my proposed workflow, to seek feedback and critiques (or validation). Thanks to Peter, ASMP and everyone involved in this mission to help photographers organize themselves.

The actual question is:
I shoot event photography. I use Mac and Lightroom 3.5.

I have to deliver JPG files to the client (or any other derivative format). The RAW files are named YYYYMMDD_EventName_NNNN.CR2 . When I have tried to deliver the selected JPG files to the client keeping the exact same sequence number as the RAW files (YYYYMMDD_EventName_NNNN.JPG), I regularly run into the issue of the client that wants to see all the pictures, after realizing that there are gaps in the sequencing number, because obviously the selected JPG files that are presented to the client are a subset of all the RAW files of the event, and not all RAW files are converted into JPGs, only the ones with 1 or 2 stars. This is an argument that I got tired of having with customers, and decided to renumber the JPG files, with a new sequence number without any gaps (YYYYMMDD_EventName_nnnn.JPG), so the customer thinks that those are "all" the photos. I hope this idea was explained in a way that it is understood, since my request for help is how to do this:

1) Assuming I have to keep renumbering: How can I know which JPG corresponds to which RAW file?, since the name is not exactly the same. I understand that the answer should point to the metadata, but how to do this exactly?. When the customer talks about a particular JPG and request a change, I need to know which one is the original RAW file that originated that JPG, so I can make develop modifications and create a new JPG. How to keep this relation?.

2) Ideally I would like to keep the same numbering, but I haven't been able to do this. Does anyone have this issue with its customers and have managed to avoid renumbering?, how to explain this to the clients?

Thanks in advance.

Alejandro Planas
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »

Hello Alejandro,

Your explanation is clear to me, including the motivation of the 'dubble' numbering.
I think it must be able to confince the customer that you present him only your own 'pics', show some confidence Smiley

However, when you want to keep this system of dubble numbering than it's possible to bring the original number into one of the metadata fields. For example i know of a script in Expression Media ('Set title to name') that replace the IPTC Core "Product" field with the file name. Afterwards you could rename this file, the 'original' name remains in this field. I am sure a similar method is available in Lightroom but i'm not an expert on that.

Roelof
alejandroplanas

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 03:03:24 PM »

Hello Roelof,

Thanks for your answer. Just to be clear, your suggestion is to store the original name of the RAW file into its own metadata using a script (in the IPTC field you mention), once that is done, rename the RAW files that will be converted to JPG (the ones with 1 or 2 stars) to the new sequence number, and then, create the JPG file using this new file name?.

Is this the idea?. If so, how do you just rename some of the RAW files prior to the JPG export.

Does anyone know about this "set title to name" script on lightroom?. Does anybody else have ideas on how to do this renaming of JPGs?

Alejandro Planas

Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 04:40:37 PM »

No, i would not rename the originals!
Just put the original name into the metadata of the file as an extra.
Then select the files you want to deliver and make JPG derivatives of them. Only rename this set of images and deliver them to you client.
I think it's best to archive this set of images in a separate catalog.
Renaming can be done with Expression Media, Lightroom and free applications like FileRenamer.
Maybe John Beardsworth does have some scripts you could use? (http://www.beardsworth.co.uk/lightroom/scripts-for-bridge/)
Roelof
alejandroplanas

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 06:27:17 PM »

I am glad to hear that renaming the originals is out of the question. Renaming the JPGs is not an issue, I use name mangler or Lightroom and I will test this FileRenamer you propose

What I don't grasp still is how would you would keep the connection between 20111208_WeddingJaneDoe_5687.CR2 and its corresponding JPG: 20111208_WeddingJaneDoe_0001_new.JPG (after it has been renamed, of course). When the customer talks about how he liked picture 0001, how can I know it refers to RAW file 5687.

This connection between files that differ in name is what drives me nuts. I haven't found a way.

By the way, great site by John Beardsworth. It has been Bookmarked!!!.

Thanks

Alejandro Planas
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 01:44:01 AM »

When the customer talks about how he liked picture 0001, how can I know it refers to RAW file 5687.
When the customer talks about picture 0001 then you know he is refering to a 'new' name. This is a number you have to search for eg the "Product" field (in Expression Media). In the search result you will get presented the 'real' image 5687.
It's involving the search capabilities of a DAM solution like lightroom or Expression Media but it's not to difficult or timeconsuming i think.
Roelof
alejandroplanas

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 07:39:03 AM »

Thanks.
 I was confused because I believed that the new name should be stored in the Metadata of the RAW file. Instead you imply that the original filename should be stored in the metadata of the JPG file, and then rename externally to Lightroom. Is this what you meant?

I found John Beardy's Search Replace Transfer plugin for Lightroom that allows a massive transfer of metadata fields, (transfer filename to title field).

Thanks

Alejandro Planas
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »

I was confused because I believed that the new name should be stored in the Metadata of the RAW file. Instead you imply that the original filename should be stored in the metadata of the JPG file, and then rename externally to Lightroom. Is this what you meant?
Yes, indeed!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: