The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 02:15:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Workflow Discussions
| |-+  High Volume
| | |-+  Better DAM and workflow strategy for sports/stock shooter?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Better DAM and workflow strategy for sports/stock shooter?  (Read 6258 times)
Caygill

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2007, 08:12:05 AM »

I’m shooting equestrian events as my main genre. During a normal day I produce at least 500-2000 pictures, which sum up to perhaps 10,000 pictures during a bigger international event. I shoot indoors mainly raw-only and outdoors in good light, usually jpeg is enough.
To describe the sport, in each class enters anything from 10-150 horses and riders. In showjumping I take somewhere between 5-15 frames per round, in dressage usually far more. There are several classes each day and the same pairs (or riders with other horses) might compete either the same day or on other days in the same event. Naturally I shoot also all kind off supporting material during these events, people and places, candid…

I typically need a number of pictures directly at the event for various press assignments. I also sell pictures to the competitors (now only afterwards) and maintain also an extensive stock for professional needs (press, sponsors, etc). The latter require me to basically tag every picture with what (who) they are about. Lately I have posted also all my pictures to the web, utilizing the SQL-driven Gallery 2.

My present workflow is to convert to DNG right away on my laptop on location as I have downloaded my cards (with Breeze Downloader). Next I typically have the Bridge cache the files, so I can scroll and find what I need fast. This is all stuff I do as I go, during the day I shoot. Stuff I need to send right away gets my data embedded in the Bridge with a template.

After the show I typically first backup and then select pictures for non-urgent assignments. After that comes then the nightmarish part, I tag every picture with horse and rider. I use the keywords field for this and use IView as the app. IView helps in one way, as it stores previous entries, giving me a “controlled vocabulary? to make it accurate and slightly faster. The keyword pair is my main criteria for finding anything. I then store every event/show as an own catalogue. This process takes most my time, sometimes more time than taking the pictures – we talk days for 10,000 pictures.

Last I usually make my searchable web galleries stuff (the preferred way for me to sell pictures to competitors). I usually run a batch in PS to scale down and embed a visible watermark. An optional step is to take out almost all EXIF-data, as I consider sometimes them (in challenging conditions) to be an industry secret. Finally I upload everything to website’s Gallery2 gallery, where the keywords will make the searchable item description. In my present workflow ALL pictures shoot ends posted on the site – not ideal, but… When I need to find something (typically Rider A and/or horse B) I use either my web site’s search or alternatively search with Iview for keywords within catalogs in a folder (slow).

Sorry for the very long post… Smiley I’m new here and hope to find some directions. I guess there a number off things I could improve (I hope).
peterkrogh
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 02:53:19 PM »

Caygill,
Please use your full name.

I think that you will be helped greatly by the use of ImageIngesterPro.  This will automate the download, rename, backup and Bridge Cache-building process.

You should be able to make your conversions for the web galleries in iView.  It can resize and add the watermark, and it will do it pretty fast from the DNG files.  It can also remove EXIF.

The rest of what you do sounds labor intensive, but I don't see a lot of opportunity to streamline.  There is no way to automate the horse and rider id that I can think of, so you just have to make the groupings.

Peter
Muzza

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 03:12:46 AM »

G'day Caygill
I too use Gallery 2. To make my workflow faster I upload to the site with Gallery Remote, which creates galleries and resizes the images. Another option to add a watermark is in Gallery 2's Site Admin under the heading 'watermark'. This automatically applies the watermark on upload. Please note I have not tried this option yet.

Here’s a link to my site http://extremephotography.com.au/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=26 and some photos from an athletics event.

All the best Muzza!!!
Caygill

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 06:30:05 AM »

I think that you will be helped greatly by the use of ImageIngesterPro.  This will automate the download, rename, backup and Bridge Cache-building process.
------------
You should be able to make your conversions for the web galleries in iView.  It can resize and add the watermark, and it will do it pretty fast from the DNG files.  It can also remove EXIF.
------------
Peter

Thanks for the pointers Peter! I've now downloaded ImageIngesterPro and will start exploring the possibilities.

I too use Gallery 2. To make my workflow faster I upload to the site with Gallery Remote, which creates galleries and resizes the images. Another option to add a watermark is in Gallery 2's Site Admin under the heading 'watermark'.
------------
Here’s a link to my site http://extremephotography.com.au/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=26 and some photos from an athletics event.

Muzza, nice site! You are using the wrapper instaed of the gallery component!?

I also use the Gallery Remote. As a part of the long workflow I first strip the Exif using Jhead (a commandline utility) and then transfer the IPTC keyword to my EXIF description using Exifer, so Gallery Remote can use them as the item Title&description in Gallery 2.

Is your cart working? I would really need one...

Caygill
aka Marcus W. IRL
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: