The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 04:16:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Hardware Discussions
| | |-+  hard drive size: beginner set-up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: hard drive size: beginner set-up  (Read 985 times)
yose99

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:22:07 PM »

Hello All:

I want to set up a tower/desktop system for both personal use, and too build a photo collection. I will be using Windows. At this point I simply want to become familiar with the DAM process and use of the software associated with photography.

Does it make sense to begin with two internal drives with one for dedicated images? If so, what size drives should I be looking for, and should the drives be the same or a different size?  I do not play video games/watch movies on computer: just basic computer needs at this time.

Thank you,
Joe
Mathew Farrell

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »

G'day Joe

I'm not the best qualified to answer your questions, but in short, the bigger the better, and it sounds like using one of your internal drives is a great way to go. As a running backup, an external drive of similar volume would be handy, or use the other internal drive (partitioned or not, as per your taste), with your archival backup to DVD or similar.

Whether you use the other internal drive or an external as a backup, they don't have to be the same size as the original library drive. It helps, as they fill up at the same rate, etc, but it's not important, unless you're using software which doesn't like synchronising different drives or some such.

If you don't already have it, get Peter's book (either edition really), which will answer a lot of this. Good luck, and do your best to do things right from day one!

Mat

Mathew Farrell
Flowstate Photography
photography.flowstate.com.au
yose99

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 07:01:36 AM »

Mat, thanks for the reply.
Mathew Farrell

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 09:04:54 PM »

Hi Joe. A pleasure.

One thing I forgot to note, there's definitely a risk in relying on both of those drives in the one machine (theft, lightning strike, virus, etc). That risk is reduced as soon as you have a non-live and remote copy of your library - ie, external drive/Dropbox type account/DVD backup.

Both in the one machine is fine, but do make sure you've got a copy elsewhere too. Then build defense higher from there.
Mat

Mathew Farrell
Flowstate Photography
photography.flowstate.com.au
yose99

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 07:19:20 AM »

thanks again. I do have a copy of the DAM book so I am aware that I will need other back up.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: