The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 10:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  DAM Stuff
| |-+  Backup Strategies and Tools
| | |-+  How many hard drives should I have?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How many hard drives should I have?  (Read 800 times)
bcarlson

View Profile WWW
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »

I'm currently just a one computer system, a laptop. I have my images organized like the illustration on page 239, which is my working files, my original image archive, and derivative archive all residing on one drive. It looks like this:

1 Online Drive:
    Original files
    Derivative Files
    Working files (mirrored from the laptops internal drive)

1 Offline Drive:
    Original Files
    Derivative Files
    Working Files (mirrored from the Online drive)

Blu-Rays
    Original Files
    Derivative Files

My question is this, is it bad to house the originals and derivatives together (I read ideally you shouldn't, though I forgot where I read that)? What are some reasons you shouldn't do it this way? The only reason I can see it being bad is when my number of images grows it might be easier to have a drive dedicated for each one. If I did do it this way, wouldn't that system look like this:

1 Online Original image drive
1 Online Derivative image drive (can be a smaller drive because this won't fill up as fast)
1 Offline Original image drive (an additive backup from the Online Drive)
1 Offline Derivative image drive (can be a smaller drive because this won't fill up as fast, an additive backup from the Online Drive )
1 set of blu-rays for both derivatives and originals

If this is a better way to do this then the only reason I haven't done it is because of money. I have already sunk over $500 on drives and enclosures and just don't have more money at the moment. If I do want to move to this system in the future (provided it makes sense and is in fact better) then hypothetically it should be easy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but all I would have to do is do a validated transfer from the Online and Offline drive that houses both the originals and derivatives and give them their own drive, then reset the folder paths in my cataloging software.

You're help would be greatly appreciated. I am just trying to see what I need to do and want to plan for the future.

Brian
www.briancarlsonphoto.com
briancarlsonphoto.com/blog
@bcarlsonphoto
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: