The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 10:09:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Moving LR catalog and database to new drive.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Moving LR catalog and database to new drive.  (Read 1600 times)
sullins

View Profile WWW Email
« on: January 12, 2012, 09:50:09 AM »

I keep my LR catalog file on same drive as my photo database and have frequently used the clone to work or carry a firewire drive for work back and forth with no issue. I've been working a long time with only 3 external drives (original and 2 backups) and a MacBook Pro.
Now I have a new iMac with Lion. I cloned the external drive onto a partition on the internal drive.
It seems to have lost the link between the original photo files and those in the (many) collections. I get can't locate the original image warning even though the thumbnail still shows.
I tried copying all the files to the new internal drive, then I cloned the external drive with Carbon Copy cloner with the same result.
Any thoughts?
Thank you

Sullins
johnbeardy
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 04:45:14 AM »

How do you know "It seems to have lost the link between the original photo files and those in the (many) collections."

Are you certain you are opening the correct catalogue? You can check this in Catalog Settings which shows the location of the catalogue that's currently open.

Do you see question marks on the folders or are they greyed out? One thing you should no do is re-import or use folder>synchronise to get yourself out of this - they often do more harm than good. You should be able to remap the links.

John
sullins

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 05:12:49 AM »

Thank you
There is only one LRCAT on the computer so it can't be any other.
Here is the setup.
iMac came with a solid state drive that contains only OS and software. It is Macintosh HD

There is another 2 Tb internal drive that was Macintosh HD2. I partitioned it into Pictures (1 tb) and Mac HD2 (1 tb)
My external drive contains only LRCAT files and image files which I cloned/copied to Pictures.
Upon first opening the LRCAT, the Library view looked fine but all Collections showed missing files.
After clicking on the Collection files, the Pictures drive is not in the Folders list.
You say not to import or synch but to add the Pictures folder,  it is wanting me to import the files from current location.
I'm thinking reformat the drive and recopy but I've done that twice.
Thanks

Sullins
sullins

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 06:02:14 AM »

New development.
My regular portable drive is fine, but the other backup is acting the same way even when connecting to my laptop.
However, the clone on iMac was created from the drive that's working.
Thanks

Sullins
sullins

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »

Update.
Since I found the same problem on the other external drive, I reformatted that drive and cloned the good drive to it. It seemed ok.
Then I formatted the internal drive on the iMac and restored the good drive to it and it seems ok.
This is the third time to put the same data on that drive so I don't really know why it is working this time.
I still had to locate the new hard drive for LR even though it's all on one disk.
Thanks for helping.

Sullins
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: