The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 08:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28003 Posts in 5130 Topics by 2912 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  iView MediaPro
| | |-+  general Mac/PS/iView upgrading - advice needed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: general Mac/PS/iView upgrading - advice needed  (Read 1776 times)
alexramsay

View Profile WWW Email
« on: December 01, 2011, 03:27:14 AM »

Hi all,

I currently use (have done for several years)  iView Media Pro 3 on a Mac, running on OS 10.4 (Tiger), together with Photoshop CS3. This combination has proved highly efficient and completely stable. However I do now need to upgrade Photoshop to CS5 because of improvements in Camera Raw. This in turn means that my Mac OS will have to be upgraded to Snow Leopard, which presumably means that I will have to migrate all my files from iView Media Pro 3 to Phase One Media Pro 1. Does anyone have any advice as to the best and safest way of doing this? Or about specific problems that may arise?

Thanks,
Alex

Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:39:33 PM »

There are a lot of problems with EM1 and Mac users.
You can find information about the sort of problems on this forum under Media Pro & Expression Media:
http://thedambook.com/smf/index.php?board=31.0
Or on the Phase One user forum:
http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewforum.php?f=43
Before you decide to buy it, test it comprehensively!

Roelof
alexramsay

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 02:25:34 AM »

Thanks Roelof - are the problems to do with Microsoft Expression Media, or are they with the new Phase One version - or are they the same thing?

Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 06:58:19 AM »

Hello,
although both EM2 and MP1 are based on iView media it seems that the iView version was the most stabile.
However, Microsoft did extend the functionality and i'm using Expression Media satisfactory ( i have no experience with iView) but on the forums (Microsoft also) can be found a lot of negative posts, i think mosltly apple users.
After the release of MP1 i was very excited because i was ready for a step forward and so i tested i thoroughly. My conclusion was (and still is) that Media Pro is not ready for release yet but it seems that you do not have any other choice than to go with MP1.
My advice is to test it very good before buying anything!
Roelof
syncrasy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »

My conclusion was (and still is) that Media Pro is not ready for release yet but it seems that you do not have any other choice than to go with MP1.

Apparently you can still download a trial version of Expression Media from Phase One's Microsoft Expression Media archive page.

Not sure how much it costs to activate a full version, but I would definitely try Expression Media first before attempting to use Media Pro. But if you use a Nikon camera and Nikon software, prepare for disappointment as Snow Leopard doesn't support NEF edits made with Nikon software.

--Mark

Nikon D300 | Nikon Capture NX 2 | Photoshop CS2 | Expression Media 2 | Mac Pro | Mac OS 10.6.8 | 10GB RAM
Roelof

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 03:20:38 AM »

Apparently you can still download a trial version of Expression Media from Phase One's Microsoft Expression Media archive page.
If the license allowing to install EM2 when you buy MP1 (i believe it's called 'downgrading') than i would certenly go for that option!
Roelof
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: