The DAM Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 06:29:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
28021 Posts in 5141 Topics by 2910 Members
Latest Member: kbroch
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  The DAM Forum
|-+  Software Discussions
| |-+  Lightroom
| | |-+  Color Settings help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Color Settings help  (Read 1223 times)
agray

View Profile Email
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:09:36 PM »

Hi I'm new here, found the site through DPbestflow while I was searching for a way to ask questions.  I saw one post similar to this one but it was pretty old.  I am very confused on color settings. I feel like every year or so I come back to this issue and yet never figure it out completely.  I love the DPbestflow site and appreciate the recommendation there for the color settings within photoshop for photographers. However, there is no recommendation anywhere that I can find from dpbestflow for the color settings on output for Lightroom. My files all start out RAW in LR and then some of them move to photoshop.
Do I just set LR for the same thing Adobe1998 that is recommended for Photoshop? I find so much conflicting information on this issue. I realize it might be different for different purposes but I am speaking as a photographer of people, wanting to make sure that my assistant and I (on different computers and monitors) are seeing at least close to the same colors and of course that my prints come back from the lab looking like they did on my screen. My monitor is calibrated with a spyder3 and that is yet another variable that I'm not sure where it fits into the color settings puzzle.  Further, I could ask my lab what settings they recommend but thought I'd start here. I am hoping for a simple answer so I can move on from this. I don't like having LR set to something different from Photoshop and getting the pop up questions on every image I open "would you like to convert to the working space" etc.
Help, thank you!
BobSmith

bobsmith@mac.com
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 07:26:29 AM »

For the simplest, least likely to cause problems workflow, keep Photoshop and Lightroom set to the same workspace.  That sounds like what you've done.  I keep both apps on Adobe RGB myself. 

Monitor calibration should be auto set by your calibration software and Photoshop and Lightroom will automatically display everything with that calibration.  Nothing special to custom set.

You lab's recommendation would most likely only come into play when you create a delivery copy of an image for them.  You can create a custom set of export settings in Lightroom that saves out files exactly to your lab's specs including color space.  Even if you have a pile of layered PSD files in Adobe RGB, Lightroom can quickly export a copy of sRGB jpegs at a specific size if that's what your lab wants.

Bob Smith
agray

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:08:31 PM »

Thanks so much, that's great information. I don't think I even knew I could export psd to jpg in LR. I guess I'm just always using raw in there.
thank you!

Angel
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: